Second knife protected with Plasti dip rubber spray paint.

Chris Railey

I am starting the new year with a rather stout respiratory infection that I have had for two weeks but I managed to get a little work done on this one. I like the white much better and I really like being able to see my blade while doing handle work. I could , if I were to have need, even wet the knife without having to Remove paper towels and tape then re-wrap and tape. It’s growing on me.

Attachments

• 9FAB6881-A984-465D-95D0-6F59624BC3CC.jpeg
    9FAB6881-A984-465D-95D0-6F59624BC3CC.jpeg
    306.3 KB · Views: 37
  • 9783D8D7-1E74-4279-B875-000AFC88C11E.jpeg
    9783D8D7-1E74-4279-B875-000AFC88C11E.jpeg
    318 KB · Views: 42
  • A14D9F93-188E-4DAD-AB1C-0DE4D252D83E.jpeg
    A14D9F93-188E-4DAD-AB1C-0DE4D252D83E.jpeg
    244.6 KB · Views: 40
  • 6A378400-6A48-41E4-BF5E-1ACF12F4A869.jpeg
    6A378400-6A48-41E4-BF5E-1ACF12F4A869.jpeg
    245.6 KB · Views: 40
  • 96BEC8EE-6E06-4B6E-B753-D6AA4E6D3834.jpeg
    96BEC8EE-6E06-4B6E-B753-D6AA4E6D3834.jpeg
    255.4 KB · Views: 37
I am starting the new year with a rather stout respiratory infection that I have had for two weeks but I managed to get a little work done on this one. I like the white much better and I really like being able to see my blade while doing handle work. I could , if I were to have need, even wet the knife without having to Remove paper towels and tape then re-wrap and tape. It’s growing on me.
Sorry to hear about the respiratory issues. I thought I would never get rid of mine.
I’m going to dry the dip sometime soon.

Sorry to hear about the respiratory issues. I thought I would never get rid of mine.
I’m going to dry the dip sometime soon.
I think I caught it from the knife you gave me..lol. If you do try it make sure to get the spray paint I have never used the dip it may be different. I know the spray paint will come off easy.

I forgot to tell you the Bowie should have been quarantined for at least 30 days! ;)

So the plastic dip works like painter's tape to protect the blade once you have gotten it to finished or rather almost finished?

So the plastic dip works like painter's tape to protect the blade once you have gotten it to finished or rather almost finished?
I was having two problems with using combos of tape-oil-and plastic wrap. One, I would often get weird marks on my blades when I took the tape off which is after I completed my handle. Two (and Ed turned me on to this one) I could not sight down my blade during the handle construction and shaping to determine symmetry of the big picture because my blade was wrapped up like a a pig in a blanket. I thought of using the rubber paint to keep moisture away from the blade while providing some (not much) protection against scratches. You still have to be careful as if you were working on an unprotected blade but I have had no marks or rust issues on the three knives I have used it on. If you want a little more protection I was thinking about maybe adding one layer of tape over my rubber paint which should still allow me to judge symmetry well. I have not tried that yet though. I still have a day job so it may be a week before I return to a blade to do more work on it and the rubber seems to protect them from the environment very well because it is always humid here. I only apply the rubber paint after I have finished my hand sanding of the blade. Its actually my last step before I start my handle work. On my last knife, I got epoxy all over the rubber paint during glue up but it made no difference when i removed the rubber paint after my handle was completely finished.

that handle wood is gorgeous! that really Pops!

Back