Seeking Input on Woolly Mammoth Tooth Handle

Bill Hubbell

KNIFE MAKER
Hi All
I invited my oldest son to join with me in making some 'damascus' and then a knife. I obtained enough 1095 and 15n20 for about three billets. After waiting over a year for our schedules to work out, we started on the damascus the other night. Although I have done a little forge welding, this was my first time at damascus/pattern welding. We now have a billet of 9 layers, about 11 1/2 inches long, now cut in half, - getting ready for the first fold/stack. We're planning to continue with that this weekend.

Back on topic: I'm hoping some of you fellow dogs out there can help me with the handle of the planned knife. From the first time we discussed this project, he's wanted to use woolly mammoth tooth for the handle. It looks to me (from what I hear from other makers) that it can be very tedious to work with. I also assume it is not the most durable material.
He doesn't have a specific profile in mind yet, as we are waiting to see how big our billet is when finished. So, this is still in the early stages. But I'd like to avoid as many frustrations as I can by planning ahead.
We're thinking of a full tang, but maybe with a guard and maybe with a bolster/cap. It seems to me that the guard and bolster would make the scales less vulnerable to damage from being dropped etc.
I'm leaning toward purchasing scales from Randy at HHH Custom Knives.

I really enjoyed working with my son the other night on the steel, and am looking forward to some more of that!
I'm not expecting a step by step tutorial, but I know there's a wealth of experience and wisdom here and am hoping to tap into some of that. So... can anyone give me some basic advice, input, warnings, or sources for such info or materials- for using woolly mammoth tooth? -profiles/knife types, pins, epoxies, methods, things to avoid, you name it.?
Even the simplest tips will be appreciated.
Thanks in advance!
Bill

Bill, the best instructional video (u-tube) that I have seen is from "Carter Custom Knifes". The title is "Mammoth Dagger".

Good Luck

Grizzly Bear

Fine Turnage mammoth tooth. Google it, and buy his video for working with the stuff. I did, and it REALLY helped me out. I did not encounter one issue and it turned out well. Also, invest in paleo bond. Google that one as well. I used it as I worked the tooth to keep everything from potentially cracking or chipping. Buy those two items and you should be good to go!

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

I agree with all the above. I would add that you will want to use new drill bits when drilling mammoth tooth as it tends to want to chip out and back it with some sacrificial material so it doesn't blow out on the back side. Also be aware that the different layers in the tooth differ in hardness with white being very hard. I've made a couple knives with mammoth tooth and they both turned out quite nicely. Just take things slow and you'll be alright.

I still find mammoth tooth the most challenging material to work. It's true if you get scales that are striped you often can adjust the scale position forward or back a bit to pick the best location for your pins, screws or whatever but after that it can become just a real head ache. A few guild lines which can help a lot are to drill the holes with the material in water, drill at a very fast speed like that of a fast rotary tool, and use very low pressure. I don't believe in placing mammoth tooth scales on knives that will be used but some say it's okay.
Frank

Hey everyone- Thanks a lot for all the input. It sounds like we better order the Turnage Video. I also looked up some of the other sources given, and will take heed to the tips you guys offered. Funny how something I'm not the least bit drawn to can sometimes suck me in. The last thing I wanted to do was build a Tanto, and then building one for my youngest son, I found a whole new appreciation for them. Now, I'm thinking hmmm, maybe I should build something suited to mammoth tooth handles. -And everyone's probly thinking yeah, well, just wait til you work with it once and then see what you think! We'll see... Like I said, we are a ways from being ready for scales, but I'll continue to research and study wherever I can. I have more confidence knowing I can run to you guys for help when I need it!
Thanks,
Bill

I still stand by that Turnage video. I really didn't find working with the mammoth tooth all that difficult after watching. Good luck!

Oh, and I do have some mammoth scales from HHH, they are beefy!!! He cuts tthem himself, and makes them pretty thick. I still haven't use his yet, but have used a few Turnage scales.

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

The best luck I have had with them is to glue them to liner material first to give more support to the scales and help stop seperation at the lines.

Hey guys. I just found this post and would like to offer some input.

First I think its awesome you and your son are working together on this. Nothing bad can come from that. And im sure you both will learn something and create something awesome.

So I agree with Frank, Mammoth is a challenge, Yet with some patience. and a few tools its something almost anyone can tackle. Please feel free to give me a shout if you have questions. I can tell you more in a 10 min phone call then I can type in a hour. ( I type slow) lol

There are a few main variable. first is quality material. Next is to back the material with a liner. Work slow. deliberate. and use sharp tools and abrasives. Taking your time and really working the 80 grit to damn near finished shape and thickness, B4 moving to higher grits. What this does is keep the heat levels lower longer. Drilling may be the largest challenge. Take it slow. use sharp bits. and Last but maybe most important.. CA glue is your best friend when working with this stuff. Even though the tooth is "stabilized" Its still not always as strong, or solid as it can be. . The first thing I do is to take a set of scale or block and just soak it on all sides with THIN C.A. Glue. Then lightly sand back to tooth. I repeat this process at least 4 to 10 times on a set of scales or a handle as I am working them to shape. and drilling, etc.. Pivotal in my process.

Hope this helps. and most off. I hope you guys have fun!

Blessings
Randy

Thanks again for all the additional tips. Bill Jr will be coming tomorrow to work on his damascus billet some more. I made a new anvil base that should be more comfortable than what I had. I've been sharing with him some of the input you guys offered and told him we should get that video. He doesn't seem at all deterred by the idiosyncracies of mammoth tooth that you guys brought up. I've got him surfing the web for knife pictures to get an idea of what he likes, and am going to encourage him to try his hand at some filework. And, it looks like we know now where to get tooth scales. So... still a long way from working on handles but getting closer and enjoying it along the way!
You guys are a blessing!
Bill

Back