Selling leftover G10 material

whamac

Hi,

I'm liquidating my one-man tool & die job shop after 34 years, and I have a fairly large batch of G10 material that I would prefer to not dump into the local landfill.
Most, if not all of it, was purchased from McMaster-Carr, years ago.

A member of a machinist's forum that I belong to suggested trying a knife-maker's forum; so here I am..

It's an assortment of sizes, ranging from a 1/8"x12"x 12" sheet, to a 1"x6"12" piece.
I can provide give full demensional details of course; I'm just gaging interest first.

Thanks for your interest and/or input!

Doug Whalen

Attachments

• G10 a.jpg
    G10 a.jpg
    457.4 KB · Views: 43
I'm interested. what are the dimensions? ( a piece of masking tape on each piece would be very helpful,)

I can do that.
For now, dimensions are 1/8x12x12, 3/16x12x12, 1/4x12x12, 1/4x5 1/2x17, 1/2x7x24, 3/4x4x10 1/2, 1x3x8 (two pieces), and 1x6x12 (two pieces).

what are ya asking for the whole shebang?
Well, after looking up current prices in the McMaster-Carr catalog, I'd have to spend over $400 to replace it.
I'm asking $150 plus shipping on the Practical Machinist forum; which would be a fantastic deal for a job shop owner who has a use for this stuff, in my opinion.

I'm a toolmaker and not familiar with the knife-making world; but I'm guessing a lot of you guys are hobbyists (correct me if I'm wrong), and I'm not sure that I can get that price here.
In your opinion, is the stuff worth anywhere near $150?

Doug Whalen

Is it worth it.? Probably. Can you get that.? Probably, again. The sizes are right for several knife making projects like guards and bolsters. The colors are muted enough also. Heck, some of those sizes are big enough for hidden tang handles.

Is it worth it.? Probably. Can you get that.? Probably, again. The sizes are right for several knife making projects like guards and bolsters. The colors are muted enough also. Heck, some of those sizes are big enough for hidden tang handles.
I've got quite a bit of small steel pieces, as well. Air-hardening tool steel (S-7 & A-2), some oil-hardening 01, powdered metal (mostly CPM10V), a little 4140 prehard.

Maybe I'd have more luck with the knife makers, than with my fellow toolmakers..

I've got quite a bit of small steel pieces, as well. Air-hardening tool steel (S-7 & A-2), some oil-hardening 01, powdered metal (mostly CPM10V), a little 4140 prehard.

Maybe I'd have more luck with the knife makers, than with my fellow toolmakers..
Post what sizes you have especially the O-1 please.

Back