Shaft/Bearing question

Kevin Zito

KNIFE MAKER
If a shaft is .620, would a 15mm ID bearing be acceptable? I’ve also seen “6202” bearings... are these the right ones to use? Thanks

It won't fit. 15mm= 15/25.4=.5906. would take a big hammer...lol.

What did you measure the shaft with? if the shaft is truly no larger than .6200...a .6202 bearing will fit it. If you have a digital Mic you will get a good reading (if it has a friction thimble).

It won't fit. 15mm= 15/25.4=.5906. would take a big hammer...lol.

What did you measure the shaft with? if the shaft is truly no larger than .6200...a .6202 bearing will fit it. If you have a digital Mic you will get a good reading (if it has a friction thimble).
Thanks ... I didn’t know the tolerances on all of that type of stuff. I measured the shaft with a mitutoyo .001” dial caliper. The diameter seemed to dance between .618 to .622... which I thought was odd, and figured it may be sloppy. Every centerfire rifle round I’ve shot in my life had case neck wall thickness variances of no more than .00005”. (Lol and since I was probably 10, I’ve turned every one of those case necks. I used to love to lure my rich friends out to the middle of a bean field with their “nail-drivin’” Browning or whatever and $20 in hand shouting - bruh, 3 shot groups, I’m telling you, I’m about to take that 20 dollar bill. While I’m already feeling kinda guilty, because even though I wasn’t going to actually take the money, it would still be embarrassing for the guy, which was kinda my point all along. lol.) So I’m thinking... .6202 is is pretty sloppy too. So, maybe it’s supposed to go the other way lol. It’s things like this that only hands on experience can answer, and in this particular type of thing I have none.

PS to be honest my “rem 700” huntin’ rifle wasn’t really what it seemed to be either lol.

Last edited:
What is the shaft for? and how long is it? .618-.622 sounds just like plain ol' round stock. A ground shaft is gonna be plus 0-minus .0005 and you can get them "tighter" from there...plus 0 -.0002...(more $.) .6202 would only be sloppy at the .618 spots. Depending on what the use is it may be more than accurate enough.

What is the shaft for? and how long is it? .618-.622 sounds just like plain ol' round stock. A ground shaft is gonna be plus 0-minus .0005 and you can get them "tighter" from there...plus 0 -.0002...(more $.) .6202 would only be sloppy at the .618 spots. Depending on what the use is it may be more than accurate enough.
It’s for my contact wheel. Lol I think shaft may not be the right word. It looks more like a half threaded bolt. Should I change it for something else?

Just a little disclaimer. ;)

I supervise the MRO purchasing activities for a 370,000 sf manufacturing facility. I never look for cheapest. I look for best life cycle cost. Something like a bearing is worth it's weight in gold when you can get the full service life out of it. Vendors like Motion Industries have proven to be worth whatever premium that MIGHT exist because they have a high level of on time and accurate fulfillment of *new stock* items. Bearings degrade sitting on the shelf. So if I drop a link on here and you see prices higher than some other sources, it's not that I'm being careless with your cash. Lol. It's because this is where'd I'd go myself.

Back