Sharpening tool advice

mlaustin

Hi All,

I'm interested in sharpening kitchen knives and folding pocket knives mainly. I was thinking of 3 different options: sandpaper on a granite block or glass, DMT duostones, or Norton wetstones. The sandpaper option seems the cheapest initial route but messy and prone to tearing paper. With the DMT or Norton stones, I need the course, fine, and extra fine. I do need the course to rebuild the edge as the kitchen knives are pretty bad. I had a Spyderco Triangle Sharpmaker and did not like it. It's been sold. I realize with the Norton stones I will need to flatten them, so the granite block or glass will be needed or some other flattening option. Does anyone have experience with either of these system that they can share? I don't want to spend more than $150. I want something that will last for a while. Thanks ahead for your help.

Mark

ALL of the three will make a mess! :biggrin: Start with the paper and do it outside on a Patio table if you don't have a work bench. You do want a solid table to work on that won't rock or get pushed around.

A good diamond plate with two sides and a rubber base is a good start. I have a 400/1000 and a 350/650. Diamond works quickly and on most any steel. I use degree wedges on top of the diamond plate to maintain a consistent angle this technique produces a consistent flat edge and in a hurry as well. I use an ERU to remove the wire edge produced by the diamond plate.
A good diamond plate will last for decades if not abused.

A good diamond plate with two sides and a rubber base is a good start. I have a 400/1000 and a 350/650. Diamond works quickly and on most any steel. I use degree wedges on top of the diamond plate to maintain a consistent angle this technique produces a consistent flat edge and in a hurry as well. I use an ERU to remove the wire edge produced by the diamond plate.
A good diamond plate will last for decades if not abused.

What brand do you use? I was looking into the DMT plates. One was 220/325 and the other was 600/1200. I have read the the diamond eventually wears off and doesn't sharpen as well. I'm not sure what those folks used them on to make it wear out. My application doesn't sound like that would be the case.

What brand do you use? I was looking into the DMT plates. One was 220/325 and the other was 600/1200. I have read the the diamond eventually wears off and doesn't sharpen as well. I'm not sure what those folks used them on to make it wear out. My application doesn't sound like that would be the case.

DMT makes good ones. Its extremely hard {diamond} the hardest of all materials. The only way to "wear" them out is to abuse them. Lite pressure is the way to use them. There is no need to apply pressure. Maintaining good angle control is much more useful. Using the degree wedges is a whole different thing than sharpening freehand on a stone or plate.

Amazon is a good place to compare prices on diamond plates.

Regards!

Back