SharpWorx - Bench Stone Angle Guide 10° to 40°

I recently received mine and it works well for smaller knives. I'm still trying to get the hang of it with an 8 inch chef knife as it's a narrow stone. It's made out of 3d-printed plastic filament and is, in my opinion, designed well. Unless there is grit between the knife and the plastic guide, it shouldn't mar the finish of the flats. The slider binds up on me a bit when it's all the way forward, and you need something grippy underneath in order to pull the slider back due to the rubber feet not having enough friction on a smooth table. Moving up to the belly of the knife makes it awkward to hold the knife and slider at the same time, and I've found myself checking my angle and not using the slider at all when I'm near the tip. It takes some getting used to.

If you use shorter strokes and don't go all the way to the end, as in the maker's video, it won't bind up. It's ideal for edges without too much of a curve. It definitely needs some good lubrication for the sliders like white lithium grease or silicon.
Hi Goot,
I just saw this message. I designed the sharpener and also make it.

I have made a few improvements since you got your sharpener that solved some of the issues you mentioned:
  1. Added magnets under the angle slide to help the knife stick better.
  2. Added a gate the prevents the knife from sliding forward off of the angle slide.
  3. Changed the traction pads to be a more robust rubber that has better traction
  4. Solved the binding issue and also added a quality assurance step to make this it does not happen
  5. Improved packaging because stones were getting broken in the mail.
Here is a link to the most recent video I posted:

Thanks! I'd like to see the inventor using a different knife than a santoku in the demo -- an opinel number 8 has a curve and the locking ring hits the guide, making it impossible to sharpen the edge next to the handle. Any knife without a ricasso and a wide handle would have this issue as well, like a puukko.
I don't have a perfect solution for this situation, however the sharpener can be used freehand to reach hard to reach sections on the edge.

Looks interesting. What's the carriage made from (wondering if it will scratch up the face of blade at all).

If I can make a suggestion, on the short demo video, re-do the scene slicing the bell pepper. The video shows someone slicing it using a sawing motion (back and forth 3-4 times) that indicates a dull blade.
The plastic parts are made from 3D printed material. The strength is the same as injection molded components. Injection molded components would be nice, but would set me back $20,000+.

My commercial editor picked the video from stock footage and I just ran with it, but its not representative of sharp knife.

Back