Sheath I just finished.

I love making leather sheaths but they dont always turn out so great. This is for a friend so he will have to live with it.
This my 5th leather sheath. Each one is like starting over for me.
I have been tooling the leather after its sewn up. I know this is wrong but im afraid things wont line up if I tool it before. Im going to try something different next time.
The dye job looks kinda bad because I tried to dye over the Eco flow stuff that looked really bad.

Attachments

• Todd Davis knife with sheath 009.jpg
    Todd Davis knife with sheath 009.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 63
Shankmaker, well you already know you shouldn't tool afterwards, let's work on that problem. get some manila folders to make your pattern first.Set the knife in the center.Now keep in mind you want the knife to stick out of the sheath about two or three fingers worth.Roll the knife to the side then add about 3/4" and cut it out.Test your fit and adjust as necessary.Trace it on the leather on the flesh side with a red pen and cut it out a little big.Test agian to make sure you can trim it to your line.Trim it then set up your tooling and stitch lines up with a divider.Dave:)

did you want the first post deleted or just leave it there?

Edit: Got the info I needed!

Shankmaker, just let me or Dave know if you want that deleted, just to make double sure.

Last edited:
Shankmaker, well you already know you shouldn't tool afterwards, let's work on that problem. get some manila folders to make your pattern first.Set the knife in the center.Now keep in mind you want the knife to stick out of the sheath about two or three fingers worth.Roll the knife to the side then add about 3/4" and cut it out.Test your fit and adjust as necessary.Trace it on the leather on the flesh side with a red pen and cut it out a little big.Test agian to make sure you can trim it to your line.Trim it then set up your tooling and stitch lines up with a divider.Dave:)

did you want the first post deleted or just leave it there?

Thanks Dave.
I will try it like you advised on my next one.

Yes you can delete that first post please.

I learned something! "Deleting the first post of a thread will result in the deletion of the thread."

Looks like your stuck with it, though I thought you could remove attachments yourself. I'll check on that one.

Back