Shipping Etiquette

SHOKR

I decided i will try shipping abroad (hopefully this goes smoothly)
anyway i was wondering about the general conditions of shipping, what i had in mind was put light layer of oil on the blade and bubble wrap. emm anything else?

Along with the oil, you may want to try VCI Paper http://www.uline.com/BL_263/Industrial-Sheets .

My Do's and Don'ts:

Get tracking for all packages
DO NOT lie on customs forms
Offer insurance
Pack the item as if it were meant to survive WWIII
Get documentation and keep it until the customer receives his package (I keep receipts and pictures taken at the P.O with my phone of the package being dropped off)
Make sure you are not shipping an item that isn't legal to, ship, own, import, export

Other than that, there isn't much to it. :D

There are folks out there who will ask you annotate a lower price on their merchandise to subvert their tariff regulations.

Last edited:
There are folks out there who will ask you annotate a lower price on their merchandise to subvert their tariff regulations.

Yes the are, I won't do it! If you lie on the form you can't get a higher amount from any insurer. You are setting yourself up for trouble. I say to all buyers. If you want to play? you gotta pay!
Like Mike said, document and keep everything! Signature required for all of my overseas dealings over about $100.00 USD

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

another question, not about shipping but sales,
if the knife have 'small' flaws, like a scratch, lack of syemetry at plunge, etc. do i point to them to the customer, just mention that there are small flaws, consider that the lower price is just enough or what?

i was planning on pointing them to clients (islam teaches you severe honesty!!) but a friend of mine who works with furniture told me 'thats no way to sell', so thought i get your feedback on the matter

thanks

I second that on the honesty on forms. I insure everything over a hundred dollars or so, too. All it would take would be for me to be out a $500 knife and the week to rebuild it and I'd be nearly sunk. I include shipping in my prices, which is about $21.00 in the USA for an insured knife of that price.
As for flaws, fix everything you can find, regardless of cost. If it's got dings and rough spots, it doesn't take long to fix them and you'll feel more confident about the product in the end. With the additional practice, it will come as second nature quickly and become automatic to get things sale ready as they leave the bench.

thanks a lot for the feedback guys

Frank, yeah its a mix of skill and patience for me, working on it with every knife :)

Shkor, I've had a few blades that had minor cosmetic flaws that I didn't want to fix because, honestly, I was sick of the blades (I ground 25 of the same type) so I sold them at a discount and took very detailed pictures. I made sure that the buyers looked the photos over very carefully and made note of the flaws. By the way, the flaws were scratches that I missed while hand sanding on both the blade and handle. In the end, both buyers loved the knives, were very appreciative and couldn't even find the flaws without me pointing them out. C'est La Vie, الحياة كده

lol nice touch with translation
yeah i told couple of people about the flaws and they were like 'no one would even see those!' but honesty is honesty! plus doesnt make sense to start a business by fooling the first couple who buy from me

i fix almost al flaws, the ones i willingly let go were plunge un evennes (because i don't have a good platen, and few scratches after hand sanding for few hours!)

so point them out and lower price! sound like a plan :)

thanks guys!

lol you're alright, thats actually very good!

where did you learn it?

I did two deployments to Iraq totaling 27 months during which we lived at police stations with Iraqis and began to pick up the language. Our interpreter would also teach me Arabic in exchange for Spanish and French lessons ( basic conversational French).

i see
i studied french at school but now i can barely say 'i want to go to the bathroom' :)

"You may find cosmetic anomalies on this knife. They will not affect function of the blade and are evidence that the knife is crafted by hand. We trust you will appreciate these small 'badges of honor' which, alongside outstanding performance, distinguish your new blade from mass production offerings.'

"You may find cosmetic anomalies on this knife. They will not affect function of the blade and are evidence that the knife is crafted by hand. We trust you will appreciate these small 'badges of honor' which, alongside outstanding performance, distinguish your new blade from mass production offerings.'

Mass production blades can have plenty of "Anomalies" too!

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

Back