Showing your work in a knife store?

Smallshop

KNIFE MAKER
Do any of you leave knives in stores/gas stations/trading posts for the owners to sell? How long do you leave 'em there? What percentage do they charge? What price range do you find effective...as in which move best...higher end or cheaper?

I know this is something guys do as almost anywhere I stop here in Montana I see customs for sale...some fairly crude, but decent users...and some rather high end. Just depends where you are.

There was a time in my career when I had my knives in retail outlets.... but back then the percentages of the sale that they host store took was far more reasonable. I had knives in a local "mom-n-pop" sporting goods store, and also at the "Made in Montana" store here in GF. The sales were good, but then one day I went into the Made in Montana store and was told that the store would now be requiring 40% of the sale price as their commission (prior it was 20%). My first thought was that I would have to "jack up" prices in order to break even, but then I realized as I hiked the prices, that "40%" the store was demanding increased.... long story short, it was a loosing battle.... by the time I jacked the prices enough to either break even, or make a little, the retail price was so high that nobody in their right mind would buy the knife.

I suppose if an individual built a knife as cheaply as possible, then set the retail at what I would call "Stupid Money" high, it might be possible to make it worth one's efforts..... but I simply can't do that..... it's just not in my nature to build a "cheap" knife. :)

40%!!!!...ouch!...I would have thought having some local talent would have been a draw for them..as in...reasonable %. I do understand shelf space etc....but...they are not actively selling your product. It has to sell its self...

The only way I'd do it is on consignment. I need "x" amount for it. If the store/seller can get more then that's their cut. But it can't be sold for less and it's always mine until it sells. The only problem I see if the store decided to go online for sales and then they're competing directly with me and now I have a self-inflicted pricing conundrum.

I'm so happy there's Facebook. I don't post prices on there, either. All sales are done through private message or telephone.

I have mine in a local store. When a knife sells, they get $30.00. I get the rest. When I think about how much attending a big knife show costs in travel expenses, hotel, food, cost of the show table, I think I am getting a bargain.

I am fortunate in that I have a friend with a gunshop in the city and I leave a few knives there but he only adds 10% so we all make a little on the deal and buyers still get a good working knife for a reasonable price. I make and leave them with no time frame in mind . I (sort of )forget them when they are gone and get a nice surprice when I call in and he hands over the cash.

Back