"Signature" screw-ups...

Frank Hunter

I'm kicking out between 2-4 knives a week lately and I find that I tend to roll a certain way. I invariably whack a semi or totally finished blade flat with a belt, usually a heavy grit one at that, during either cleaning up tang tapers, rounding bolsters, etc. It's become a routine that I add to almost every knife, it seems. Over the last few weeks I've gotten pretty good at fixing the results. I do tape the blades with two layers of black gorilla duct tape after final hand sanding and first buffing while the handles are finished, but I just can't resist beating up the ricasso or grabbing a corner of the spine. Anyone else have a signature screw up that makes your knives special?

I always seem to put some nice cross grain scratches on the flat by the top of the scales ... usually trying to fix not doing a good job of cleaning up the epoxy. I'm thinking of just starting to etch my mark on top of the scratches and calling it good. :biggrin:

I tend to do the same thing to my plunge lines when cleaning up after ht. I finally stopped using the belt all the way to the plunge, and started spending a little more time hand sanding to correct the problem. But if I really jack up one side, I just make the other side match so it becomes part of the design!:nothing:

I tend to do the same thing to my plunge lines when cleaning up after ht. I finally stopped using the belt all the way to the plunge, and started spending a little more time hand sanding to correct the problem. But if I really jack up one side, I just make the other side match so it becomes part of the design!:nothing:

Slacker here has the right idea as far as I'm concerned.

I call my correction of my mistakes a "Design Modification"

How we cover up our mistakes is how we develop our "Style".

All Art to a large degree is fixing our mistakes! :biggrin:

Get use to it and enjoy Life.

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com/

Back