Slippie Pivot Question.....HELP!

McClellan Made Blades

Good Afternoon Dogs,
I'm attempting my first slip joint folder, so I bought one of the kits from Boss, to get my feet wet. I choose the Swayback Wharncliffe kit, because I LOVE the Wharncliffe look. The pivot that came with it is the threaded type, OK,....let me be clear about this, I'm not dead positive that, that is the one that came with it, I kinda got some parts mixed up, but I think that is the only one I have that will work with the size of blade that goes with it.

My question is, should I use that pivot with it and leave the screws countersunk` into the bolsters, or should I order the type of pivot that is peened into the bolsters? If the screw in type will work I wouldn't mind using them, it'll be a different type of look than normal, OR can I peen the threaded pivot without any problems with longevity or performance?
Thanks Dawgs, YOU ARE THE BEST!!!!

I would complete the kit as it was intended to be done.
If you are going to pein the pivot pin I would suggest making a pin of the correct diameter and length.
Either way you have a lot to learn yet about making slipjoint knives. Starting with a kit helps you a lot but you still have much to learn.
Good luck!

I put together some of those kits from Boss when I was getting started in slipjoints and if I remember correctly they did not come with any pins. He may have new models since then though. Maybe he'll be by to clear it up soon. The kits are a great learning tool, but slippies are a booger to learn to make well. I'm still finding new way to mess one up.
Phil

The one we did at the hammer inn was just the liners a waterjet cut blade and spring that will need to be heat treated. They do not come with the pins or directions. If you need directions i would suggest slipjoints my way by Don Robinson.

Thanks Calvin, as well as everyone else that has chimed in,
I do appreciate the advice, it is entirely POSSIBLE that when I got the kit a year or so ago,
that I put the parts I needed with it, or heck who knows!? With my memory there honestly is ZERO telling what I did!

This kit is nothing more than the profiling done and upon more inspection, the holes for the blade have been spotted.
That is it, it would be nothing more than you, Calvin, after you have profiled everything, except for the pivot hole being marked, I do think that if I do not change anything dimension wise most everything should be right maybe some fitting of the spring.

This is no '' gimme'' kit it's just about the same as starting from scratch! But I do like the fact that I won't have to waste any steel, and the blade and the spring match and that I won't have to figure that out, so I'm going to get back to work, see if I can make a little more headway on it tonight, THANK YOU ALL! I appreciate the help, and I will be asking a lot more questions...probably too many! Who knows, maybe I can make one good enough to send to you Doug, get some sick engraving on it!!!!! .........IT COULD HAPPEN.....might take a while....Y'all have a wonderful night, Rex

Back