Small forced Burner

Gliden07

I like to build a lot of my own equipment for a lot of reasons I like it, usually learn a ton of stuff and I usually save a fair amount of money (most times). I Decided to build a small forced air burner as an experiment. It took a little bit of fore thought but came together pretty quick. Still need some tuning and testing but it seems like it will work? My atmospheric burner takes 12 to 20 LBS from the 20lb propane tanks I have. After hooking up the forced air I burner I had to dial it down to 2PSI. Now I know that's not a "REAL" number because the atmospheric burner uses a small orifice so the pressure is higher. What I did do after testing I reconnected the atmospheric burner without adjusting the regulator then checked the PSI and it was only at 5PSI so from a minimum of 12PSI to 2PSI is fantastic it should save gas and help stop the valve from freezing up??

Last edited:
I did a small forced air setup as well. 1.5" black pipe with stainless tubing welded into the nozzle. Acts like a small ribbbon burner, get to temp in 10 min or less. Propane gauge reads around 1 psi.20220529_164057~2.jpg

Yea, I get the msg "You will only be able to see this if the person who shared it to Facebook has given you access." and of course a facebook acct is required.

Would it be possible to post a couple of photos here? It sounds like you're not using a jet in the forced air burner as you are in the venturi burner? As long as the burner is adjusted properly I think the amount of gas used will be about the same in both venturi and forced air burner. After all, there's only so much energy in a lb of propane.

I don't wish to sidetrack the thread, but I'd like to comment on Taz's forge.

Taz, that's a good looking setup you've got there. I've got my forge mounted on the same HF cart. I did mount larger wheels on my cart to make it easier to roll outside on grass, but on concrete those stock wheels work just fine.

The length of pipe between the gate valve and elbow can be shortened if needed as the length there doesn't matter since it's not part of the mixing chamber. Those tubes at the outlet sure do look interesting - they provide the needed back pressure same as using smaller pipe there. I sorta like the idea of the burner being similar to a ribbon burner, and the burner can still be angled so the flame doesn't directly impinge on the billet causing a hotspot.

Would you mind posting a couple more photos showing the burner mounted in the forge? Do you have a thermocouple mounted? That forge sure does look good. Congrats to you.

Ken H>

It has a port tube welded to the side of the forge body , so I can take the burner out of the forge for lighting and cooling down. Next time, I will put the burner up a bit higher to get more swirl, but it is fairly even heating wise.
20220623_172459~2.jpg20220624_065054~2.jpg20220703_171520~2.jpg20220703_172452~2.jpg

I have a TC I put in from the back doors of I want to know what temp the forge is.

I think I can fix it!

Someone try the link I edited the Privacy on FB. I posted it on Instagram originally.
It works for me now. However the video is huge. I have to scroll to see everything on my 24" monitor. If you can reduce the size a bit, it would be much easier to view.
It also looks like that the camera got turned upside down half way through? I'm not sure that, but it's a bit confusing at that point.

From what I can see, you did a good job on the forge. Nice!

Link works good for me to now. Isn’t it amazing how easy a forced air burner is to build? That’s working really good.

It works for me now. However the video is huge. I have to scroll to see everything on my 24" monitor. If you can reduce the size a bit, it would be much easier to view.
It also looks like that the camera got turned upside down half way through? I'm not sure that, but it's a bit confusing at that point.

From what I can see, you did a good job on the forge. Nice!
I dont get it!! LOL! I use my little phone screen and the whole thing shows up! Like I said I know enough to get into trouble with computers!!

Yea, I get the msg "You will only be able to see this if the person who shared it to Facebook has given you access." and of course a facebook acct is required.

Would it be possible to post a couple of photos here? It sounds like you're not using a jet in the forced air burner as you are in the venturi burner? As long as the burner is adjusted properly I think the amount of gas used will be about the same in both venturi and forced air burner. After all, there's only so much energy in a lb of propane.

I don't wish to sidetrack the thread, but I'd like to comment on Taz's forge.

Taz, that's a good looking setup you've got there. I've got my forge mounted on the same HF cart. I did mount larger wheels on my cart to make it easier to roll outside on grass, but on concrete those stock wheels work just fine.

The length of pipe between the gate valve and elbow can be shortened if needed as the length there doesn't matter since it's not part of the mixing chamber. Those tubes at the outlet sure do look interesting - they provide the needed back pressure same as using smaller pipe there. I sorta like the idea of the burner being similar to a ribbon burner, and the burner can still be angled so the flame doesn't directly impinge on the billet causing a hotspot.

Would you mind posting a couple more photos showing the burner mounted in the forge? Do you have a thermocouple mounted? That forge sure does look good. Congrats to you.

Ken H>
I'll do them probably next week though, my Mother had surgery and I'm taking care of her so I'm not at my house.

Looks almost like a Mathewson. Nice work!
It was patterned off a Atlas Graham burner. But I used off the shelf stuff to build it (some educated guesses and some luck!). I'll get some better pictures of it. I have to put it in a forge and let it get to temp. But it has a 1" sch 40 burner tube and the only forge I have that has a burner tube big enough is the one in the video, and the interior is not in very good shape.

I dont get it!! LOL! I use my little phone screen and the whole thing shows up! Like I said I know enough to get into trouble with computers!!
If you have either a laptop or desktop with Windows 10 you should be able to edit your video and reduce the size. Your content is great. It's just big :)
-------------------------
Edited to add: I just looked at your original post on Instagram. It looks fine there...so I'm not sure now if editing it on Windows would help. Could be a strange Facebook thing.

Last edited:
I was able to make the Facebook link load. I had to erase the "m." prefix from the URL. You'd think it'd just redirect from the mobile site to the normal one... Guess not. NICE FORGE!!!

I agree. Not sure what the current YouTube policy is, but you aught to be able to monetize them, too!

Edit: I know that for a while they wanted at least X number (1,000?) subscribers before you could monetize your videos.

Back