Small hunter in Ironwood w/ SS bolsters

P J 234

Hi Guys,

This is my first time posting my work here. I'm a relatively new maker with this being my 8th completed knife. In the interest of improving at the craft, I would value any feedback, critique, good/bad/ugly that anyone is willing to share on the knife and/or sheath. This was my first try at stainless bolsters, and also my first multi-colored sheath (a big thanks to Josh Dabney for giving me some excellent tips on how to do the 2 dye colors.)

I would also like to give a big thanks to Mike Mooney (www.moonblades.com) for his help with this knife and for allowing me to spend time in his shop recently. Mike is a local maker who makes beautiful knives and is also a heckuva nice guy to boot, and I've learned a lot from him in a short period of time. I had managed to get to the point where I had the bolsters peened on and thinned down some, but I really struggled with how to go about shaping them. Mike invited me over (twice!) to show me how he does it, and also helped me to buff the handles when it was all done (I don't yet own a buffer, nor did I know how to use one.)

Knife Specs:

-1/8" flat ground O1 steel, hand sanded to 600x (or was it 1000x???)
-stainless bolsters, mosaic pins, and thong tube
-AZ Desert Ironwood handle scales (they are not bookmatched, but they were inexpensive and allow me to practice with my favorite handle material, so I'm OK with that.)
-blade length is ~ 3 1/4"
-overall length is ~ 7 1/4"

Sheath:

-7/8 oz Wickett & Craig veg tan shoulder
-Black and Dark Brown Fiebings Pro Oil dye with Tandy Satin Sheen top coat
-tooling pattern is one I have seen on some of Paul Long's sheaths...I hope I have not stolen his trademarked design!

P1010598.jpg

P1010619.jpg

P1010629.jpg

P1010621.jpg

P1010631.jpg

P1010611.jpg

I apologize if the photos are not the best...I've been struggling with how to improve them, and the buffed bolsters/ironwood made it even more difficult for me with this particular knife. I really need to get a lightbox, better camera, and/or tripod.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Last edited:
Wow! Paul you sure make an awesome knife. And your sheath are beautiful also. Man I got got to pick up my game to catch up with you. Great job!

The only way I could fairly critique this piece would be for you to send it to me for a couple years and let me put it thru it's paces. I promise that if you remember to ask me several times to return it that I will give you an honest opinion.
Hey, just kidding. This is truly great work. Keep it up.
Steve Janik

Paul,
That is a great knife! You still using the craftsman grinder? Guess we are neighbors now. I moved from KY to Gilbert, AZ. Hope all is well with you!

Thanks guys, I appreciate all the nice words! Critiques are also very welcome if anyone has anything to offer in that respect.

Smitty, welcome to AZ! The next 8 months of so of weather are spectacular and seem to make the brutal summers worth it. I'm in Chandler, so we probably are not too far apart.

I bought a KMG around June of this year, but still have the Craftsman and use it for sharpening and some handle shaping tasks. The motor is very slow to come up to speed lately, so I have a feeling it is on it's last leg. The KMG sat all summer so I haven't spent that much time with it yet, but it is a night and day difference and so much more useful for knife work.

Your knife looks very nice. It looks like you take your time and make sure it looks the way you want it to. You did a good job.

Paul, thats a beautiful knife and sheath.

one suggestion though.....with work like this I feel you should let people know who you are at least in your signature line. You have come along way and deserve to be known.

Thank you Mr. Bump, I appreciate your feedback and nice words! I have just been in a learning/practice/hobby mode up until now, but I am recently starting to think about buying/building an etcher coming up with a logo/name to etch on my blades and perhaps consider beginning to sell some.

I have wanted to take my time and get things right before I thought about selling any knives, but this hobby is really getting expensive!!

Thank you Mr. Bump, I appreciate your feedback and nice words! I have just been in a learning/practice/hobby mode up until now, but I am recently starting to think about buying/building an etcher coming up with a logo/name to etch on my blades and perhaps consider beginning to sell some.

I have wanted to take my time and get things right before I thought about selling any knives, but this hobby is really getting expensive!!

Sorry it's not just a habit, it's an addiction!!!!!2thumbs

Man that is a really beautiful knife and sheath! You absolutely have what it takes and should not hesitate to sell your stuff whenever you feel like it. People will quickly inundate you with orders though, so be prepared to say "No" or work your butt off! :)

Thank you for your nice comments Dave and Art!

I actually would like to start selling some knives relatively soon if I can summon the courage to do so...

Back