solder bronze

Outta my element here but I think you can solder bronze to just about any metal except those containing chromium.

YMMV

This is actually Silver soldering or Brazing. Much higher temps than typical soldering, but not as much as fusion welding. If looking for “brass” color, use Silicone Bronze, if “stainless” color is your achieving goal, use Nickel-Silver. Don’t forget plenty of good flux! As it’s brazing. You can use on dissimilar metals. Including Chromium(Stainless) steels. Remember, this isn’t FUSION welding. It’s basically a super high strength “Glue”, so to speak. The parts are not melted together as the joining materials have a different melting point(higher) than that of the filler material

I use Harris Stay-Brite 300 to 400 degree, will solder bronze brass copper stainless to carbon or stainless blades, but all things must be clean, last cleaning with detergent and hot water, heat must be right or will burn the flux and it is allover, try a practice piece first to see how it is going to work, I allso use heat stopper on the blade to contain the heat, don't solder my blade any more, it can be a pain. Deane

That’s about the temps of normal soldering. Brazing temps, whether using Copper or Silver alloys, is in the 1,100F-1200F and even higher. This is the very high strength joining.

One Armed, I understand 1200 F solder use it to solder the seams on silver and nickel silver sheaths, that is to much heat to solder a guard on a blade. Deane

Yeah, your right. But then, 400F seems too much for Carbon steel as well. But I guess better than than 1000F +. I stray away from stuff like that anyway. Good luck to the OP.

Back