Soldering Titanium ???

Josh Dabney

Alright fellas. I'm getting serious about working out the details for my GLWJ/MKS build-off folder and I've got a few questions about working with titanium.

1. Can I silver solder Carbon Steel Damascus to the Ti liners for bolsters?

2. Assuming I can do this. Will Ferric Cloride hurt the Ti when etching the bolsters ?

3. How about spot welding Ti ?

Basically I want stay away from the "Erector Set" look of screws everywhere so I want to attach the bolsters with nothing showing but the pivot screws.

I guess I could also drill and tap screws from the inside of the liner huh ???

Any answers / suggestions or advice would be greatly appreceiated guys.

-Josh

I don't think that you can solder TI. The ferric chloride will not affect the TI. You could screw the bolsters on from behind into blind holes for a cleaner look.

Regards,
Chuck

There are lots of interesting things about titanium. It is and works very different than other metals. It is made up of aluminum and vanadium. Until you get used to it can be a bit scarry with the way sparks can come off especially if you are using a belt too dull to grind material off or are using too much pressure. It can also form lovely burrs if you are contour grinding even .040 sheet stock.
No, it doesn't solder or weld. I have done folders without screws showing. A lot of buyers don't look at the use of screws as being a sort of "erector set" so if it works for you to use them , don't hesitate. If you are going to use titanium in a fairly heavy gauge and will be doing a fair amoumt of shaping, make sure you have lots of belts on hand. The aluminum in the titanium sometimes melts with belt grinding and sue doe attatch to the belts. Some neat work sure can be done with titanium and you can even colour it. Frank

Thanks alot for the info fellas !

John, I have since read thats welding Ti is completly possible, just not by me LOL.

I think I'll go with blind screws or pins for the Bolsters which will be more in line with my current skill set.

Thanks again for the replies guys !

-Josh

You can weld Titanium, but only to titanium and it is a an element not an alloy of aluminum and anything else, although it can be alloyed with other metals.

Back