Some better pics of Tim's Camp Set.

EdCaffreyMS

"The Montana Bladesmith"
Tim and Mandi came to visit on New Year's Day, and Tim brought his camp set so I could get better pics.......

Camp Knife is 10" blade of differentially heat treated 1084, Black Ultrex handle material, and a 9-10oz sheath
I stenciled the flames with flat black Gun-Kote, and then finished it off with a coat of satin clear Gun-Kote

The Camp Hatchet is solid 52100, with the same Ultrex handle material as the knife, along with the same stenciling/Gun-Kote finish

Finally, a full size Camp Axe. This one is 4140 steel, with a 1080 bit forge welded in, 34" Hickory handle, with African Blackwood buttcap. Same stenciling/Gun-Kote finish at the knife and hatchet.

EdCaffreyMS

"The Montana Bladesmith"
Gun-Kote is the most durable I've found to date, but it's not "forever" durable. It will eventually get scuffed and scratched, particularly with chopping wood, and the associated dirt, rocks, etc that it often contains. Before I ever made it a commonly used coating in my shop, I made myself a hunter, coated it, and carried it for a Montana hunting season..... it got a couple of mild scratches from working it through bone/joints, but otherwise looked as good at the end of season, as at the beginning. I tend to use the clear satin on many of my Damascus blades..... it takes routine maintenance to near zero, and that makes clients really happy. ;)

Sean Jones

A very nice setup for camping.

Ed have you ever tried Duracoat? It's similar to Gun-Kote. I've used it on several guns and it works well. It seems to work best when the gun is Parkerized first. Since I'm already invested in the Duracoat system I'd prefer to use it rather than switch. Though I'd rather not Parkerize first. Just curious

EdCaffreyMS

"The Montana Bladesmith"
I have tried/used Duracoat..... and when you parkerize prior, I think it'll stand toe to toe with the Gun-Kote..... but I chose the Gun-Kote because like you, I didn't want to have to parkerize everything, and for me, Gun-Kote just seems to work better overall, from application to durability/wear.

What I've found is that Duracoat is VERY finicky of the finish prior to coating.....it's gotta be at least a medium bead blast finish to get it to adhere/wear well. With Gun-Kote, as long as you CAREFULLY clean whatever you're coating, it can be just about any type of finish, up to and including a mirror finish, and it will adhere/wear the same.

I really think it boils down to what works best for the majority of YOUR uses. For me, the Gun-Kote has proven itself on my damascus pens.....which get far more handling/use then any knife blade I'd put it on. That being said, I have plans to try a newer product called "Moly-Coat". If the claims are to be believed, it's suppose to out perform everything out there...... but...... ya never know until the rubber meets the road. :)

Sean Jones

I have tried/used Duracoat..... and when you parkerize prior, I think it'll stand toe to toe with the Gun-Kote..... but I chose the Gun-Kote because like you, I didn't want to have to parkerize everything, and for me, Gun-Kote just seems to work better overall, from application to durability/wear.

What I've found is that Duracoat is VERY finicky of the finish prior to coating.....it's gotta be at least a medium bead blast finish to get it to adhere/wear well. With Gun-Kote, as long as you CAREFULLY clean whatever you're coating, it can be just about any type of finish, up to and including a mirror finish, and it will adhere/wear the same.

I really think it boils down to what works best for the majority of YOUR uses. For me, the Gun-Kote has proven itself on my damascus pens.....which get far more handling/use then any knife blade I'd put it on. That being said, I have plans to try a newer product called "Moly-Coat". If the claims are to be believed, it's suppose to out perform everything out there...... but...... ya never know until the rubber meets the road. :)
Thanks Ed. I don't have a terrible amount invested in Duracoat. I'll check out this Moly-Coat you mention as well.

EdCaffreyMS

"The Montana Bladesmith"
Was this Tim's Christmas gift?
Yes! I had a hard time keeping it secret from him..... he works as a DJ at a radio station that's less then a mile from my shops.... he gets off around 1pm each day.....and often stops by to visit before heading home.... and NEVER lets me know when he's gona pop in. Several times I had to throw my apron or whatever over them on the bench, and pray he didn't get nosy! :) But it was well worth it to see his face when he unwrapped them! :)

Austin Thrasher

Has anyone used the Gun-Kote in the aerosol can? Seems like a good way to give it a try without having to have a spray setup.

EdCaffreyMS

"The Montana Bladesmith"
The "rattle can" just lays it on too heavy. If if you really try, you still get drips and runs. I still have a "rattle can" of it sitting on a shelf...that's been there for over a decade! :) If you already have a compressor, you can purchase a cheap airbrush from Harbor Freight for $11. In fact, that's what I recommend to folks, because Gun-Kote is such a pain to clean up..... I use the cups/nozzles a couple times each, then toss them.