Some fun with Ferric chloride

BobbyD

Would like to play with San Mi in the future but for these two kitchen knives I saved some money lol
For the wife
97BCDB88-6CA8-4835-9AD5-64D351C48EC9.jpeg231314B4-71BB-4FBC-8DDA-36518296BDA9.jpeg
For my daughter who loves different
I am a new maker. These were my 8 and 9 knife. Having fun but spending way to much money lol
sorry for the big pictures.

Here is a hunter I just finished. AEBL with walnut and maple handle. My first try At a hollow Grind on a 10” wheel. Had four cracks in the edge. Not sure why. I think I got the edge to thin but it cut great.
86943E9F-1087-4D36-B8CC-B5FDDD387A35.jpeg

Here is a hunter I just finished. AEBL with walnut and maple handle. My first try At a hollow Grind on a 10” wheel. Had four cracks in the edge. Not sure why. I think I got the edge to thin but it cut great.
View attachment 73322
I never grind bevels on AEBL until it is heat treated. I have had too many various problems with it other wise.

Hello Bobby - well done on the knives. How did you do the San Mia in kitchen knives? Did you make it yourself? What's the core material and cladding. It looks good, and looks like you kept the core centered nicely. That's my big problem is keeping core centered during drawing out of billet.

Thanks Ken. No the steel is not San Mai its 15n20. I made it look like San Mai with Ferric Cloride. I guess it’s a poor mans San Mai lol

Bobby, I thought that was what you were saying, but it looks so "real" I wasn't sure. You did a good job.

Great work. The scale material of the kitchen knives are quite attractive to me, especially the bottom one.
Well done.

The experienced craftsmen here likely won't be interested, but as a newbie, I'd love to know your process for getting this blade look, Bobby. Can you go into it, or point me to a YouTube? I've done one kitchen knife, a paring knife for one of my daughters, and I think I may lean that way in the future because I love crafting knives that actually get used.

Back