Some of my mods

Glennbad

I thought I would share some pics of the type of mods I like to do. My favorites to work on are the TL-29 electrician knives.

Before and after pics

Nice - I really like the marlin spike with shackle tool! You've really done some good work - my hat's off to you.

Ken H>

Thank you Ken. That ivory micarta one is one of my most recent. If you have ever played with one of those, the springs are absolute bone breakers. I like a flush look on my pins, but on this one I used stainless pins and left them proud and rounded to discourage spreading of the handles due to the stress.

I enjoyed the way it came out as well. I don't know if I would carry one like that, with the weight of the NS bolsters added, if you fell over board, you'd probably sink right to the bottom.

My next evolution is to start making these from scratch, not really quite there yet though.

If anyone has questions about any of the pieces, please ask. Thanks for looking!

Glenn

Glenn - with the skill you've shown in re-working these folders you'll not have any problem making a folder from scratch.

You mention leaving the pins proud to help prevent bolsters from spreading with use, if you use a taper reamer to ream the pivot holes on a taper, then peening the pin will allow the pin to spread inside the pivot hole pulling bolster together and give the strength you are referring to, even with pin ground flush and and blending to bolster so it's not visible.

I've got a couple of marlin spike folders, but never carried them. I liked a fixed blade on a boat with a separate marlin spike in the same sheath. Just seemed to work better for me not having to open the folder when needed. Seems like I always had one hand full, and other hand for knife or spike.

73 de Ken H.

Nice work Glen, glad to see you here on Knife Dogs. I followed your work over on AAPK and it inspired my me to try my hand at modding and then I took the plunge and tried my hand at making my own. I'm just starting on my fourth a Lanny's Clip pattern.

My first 3 were based on the TL-29, which I used for a pattern. I'm sure you'll have no problem making your own complete pocket knives.

Jim

Very nice work , I too like the blade with the marlinspike , reminds me of my old case knife I had while in the Navy . Is that for sale ???? Bubba

Very nice work , I too like the blade with the marlinspike , reminds me of my old case knife I had while in the Navy . Is that for sale ???? Bubba

Which one, the ebony one or the ivory micarta? The ebony one was for a customer, the ivory micarta one I still have.

Love the restoring,and bringing back new life in the knives
you're restored.....Wish I were only half that good.....
Do you use a scroll saw for anything?....
Do you take un-needed blades,and cut them down to fit knives
with worn blades?...
I really love em all.....Thanks,JD

Love restoring,and bringing back new life in the knives
you're restored.....Wish I were only half that good.....
Do you use a scroll saw for anything?....
Do you take un-needed blades,and cut them down to fit knives
with worn blades?...
I really love em all.....Thanks,JD

Thanks for the comments, sorry, haven't been here in a while.

I do not use a scroll saw. I have a band saw, and sanders. That is what I use to shape materials. The only blades I typically cut down are the screwdriver blades on TL-29's, to turn them into other types of blades. I remove blades as needed to alter knives into smaller knives or single blade knives.

Keep practicing with knives, don't get discouraged with setbacks.

Back