Something Different

Randy Lucius

Wanted to do something a little different so I tried some color changing C-Tek. Depending on the viewing angle it’s either red or blue. Looking down it lengthwise it’s red, white and blue. Not everyone’s cup of tea but the people I’ve shown it to got a kick out of it. I said it was different. :)

R0001e.jpg

B0001e.jpg

RWB0001e.jpg

Last edited:
Gota say I’m generally not a huge fan of that type of stuff
Me either Daniel but I wanted to try something different to "liven" up the shop a little. Judging people's reaction that I've shown it to I don't think I will have much trouble selling it. It's kinda like a magic trick. :)

Wow, that is some crazy stuff. Not sure I like the idea of a different color depending on the angle of view!!!

I usually try to match the handle material and color to the knife. I guess the kicker to that is I like all the colors!!

No two ways about it, it's eye catching. The problem with that material is it's durability.

Back when they first came out with it, I had a customer request it on a couple of knives..... I did it, and wished I never had. Not long after hunting season rolled around, both knives cam back to me with failed handle material...... the resin had popped out of several of those "cells" around the perimeter of the handle material (where, after shaping/finishing, the aluminum "cells" did not completely surround the resin.)

Luckily I talked the client out of using that material, and repaired the knives with multi-colored G10. It may have just been my bad luck, but after my experience with it, I refuse to use that material.

No two ways about it, it's eye catching. The problem with that material is it's durability.

Back when they first came out with it, I had a customer request it on a couple of knives..... I did it, and wished I never had. Not long after hunting season rolled around, both knives cam back to me with failed handle material...... the resin had popped out of several of those "cells" around the perimeter of the handle material (where, after shaping/finishing, the aluminum "cells" did not completely surround the resin.)

Luckily I talked the client out of using that material, and repaired the knives with multi-colored G10. It may have just been my bad luck, but after my experience with it, I refuse to use that material.
Yeah it's not something I'm gonna make a lot of. Did the knives you made have liners? Seems like the cells would bond well to the liners. I made a blue C-Tek knife for my 8 year old grandson and he's pretty rough on it. So far no lost cells. But you're right, a knife that will see a lot use needs a more durable material.

Back