Source for Leather washers for USMC KA BAR knives

Fatstrat

I've been buying re-handle kits from KA BAR @ $15.00 each. But I often don't use or need the pommels and guards that kit includes. Just want to buy washers. And can't find any the right size. Anyone know of a source?

^^ That could work as well! :) ^^

You could make a cutter pretty easy to cut each one the same. etc.

How would you make one? I'm pretty handy, but doesn't hurt to get advice over trial & error. Please give an idea of what to make out of etc.

How would you make one? I'm pretty handy, but doesn't hurt to get advice over trial & error. Please give an idea of what to make out of etc.

I can think of several ways but the main idea is, have a "cookie cutter" for the leather. maybe a sharpened piece of tube about an inch deep. then drill out the tang hole with a drill press or another punch.

I use the veg tan and belting leather.
No need for special gizmos. I cut 1-1/4" strips and then cut those into 1-1/4" to 1-1/2" squares. That's plenty for the handle and drop. I made "chisels" for the center holes out of scrap blade steel. Not every tang is the same size, and I can punch my holes where I need them. The whole mess gets trimmed on the bandsaw and grinder after glue-up.

KnifeShow 024.jpg

Rudy

I use the veg tan and belting leather.
No need for special gizmos. I cut 1-1/4" strips and then cut those into 1-1/4" to 1-1/2" squares. That's plenty for the handle and drop. I made "chisels" for the center holes out of scrap blade steel. Not every tang is the same size, and I can punch my holes where I need them. The whole mess gets trimmed on the bandsaw and grinder after glue-up.

View attachment 43697

Rudy

Excellent! Many thanks!

Back