Sources for fork, spoon and knife blanks

D John

I have been trying to find a source of tang style forks, spoons and knives that I can use with antler horns to make my own set of tableware (cutlery). So far, I haven't had much luck finding something. I'm not a blacksmith and don't want to go down the road of trying to make my own blanks. I'm comfortable working with the antler material and making hunting knives using premade blanks, so don't see any drawbacks with trying to make the tableware. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Would standard cutlery work? Could be found cheaply and cut to any tang length you choose.

Would standard cutlery work? Could be found cheaply and cut to any tang length you choose.
That is a good idea. It would be a bit more work cutting and forming the handles into tangs, but do-able. Thanks for the idea.

Unless you just want the hand forged look bmills suggestion will more than likely be your best bet. I could forge you some hidden tang spoons and forks etc. but the cost would be much more than altering a standard set and if you want them shiny too that would get expensive quick. You could also work with a local CNC shop to cut blanks for you but you would still need to bend and shape them, most of that could be done cold though.

That's good to know Daniel. I need to make a Carving set for my daughter. Thought about making the fork from scratch. I might yet, but that could be a good alternative.
I’ve forged one spoon, without some sort of swage it is iffy with my forging skills thought about hogging one out of wood and wetting it a little

I’ve forged one spoon, without some sort of swage it is iffy with my forging skills thought about hogging one out of wood and wetting it a little
In spite of it's simplicity a spoon does actually look more difficult than a fork.

I think a two tine carving fork would be relatively easy to do with stock removal methods, accept for final bending of the tines. But then I've thought other things were easy before too, that turned out not to be.

It’s easier than you think without a swage. Just get you a stump or piece of firewood and set it so the end grain faces up. After you forge to shape take a heat then place the spoon on the end grain and start shaping with a ball peen. As you work some end grain will be burned away and as it is burned away the spoon bowl will take shape. You can get a few spoons out of the same section before you have to move over a little.

Back