Spacer material

C Craft

Anyone got a line on approximately 1/4" spacer material in colors. I have a knife I am working on that will have colored spacers behind guard, before the handle actually starts. I think something about that thick would work well but I haven't found thick material. No wonder they use to love the old bakelite! It would polish up like glass. Anyone know where I might find some thick stuff??

What kind of material are you looking for? USA knife maker has 1/4" g10 and 1/4" carbon fiber in stock as we speak.

Bakelite is basically the same recipe for Dow Cornings "Corian" solid counter top material. (there are other companies making the same stuff) You can buy 8" x 8" x 1/2" sample for about $8. (IIRC) It buffs up super nice. I make a lot of handles from this...it is much harder than the knife acrylics. Some believe it to be on the brittle side...I have good luck with it...but haven't used it on a sharp corner yet.

https://coriandesignsamples.colors2u.net/product/corian-solid-surface-almond-sink-color/

The products are good...the web site is TERRIBLE....

What kind of material are you looking for? USA knife maker has 1/4" g10 and 1/4" carbon fiber in stock as we speak.

Thanks Ty. I couldn't get the USA site to work a few minutes ago. We are in the middle of a thunderstorm here!!

Bakelite is basically the same recipe for Dow Cornings "Corian" solid counter top material. (there are other companies making the same stuff) You can buy 8" x 8" x 1/2" sample for about $8. (IIRC) It buffs up super nice. I make a lot of handles from this...it is much harder than the knife acrylics. Some believe it to be on the brittle side...I have good luck with it...but haven't used it on a sharp corner yet.

https://coriandesignsamples.colors2u.net/product/corian-solid-surface-almond-sink-color/

The products are good...the web site is TERRIBLE....

Hmm never knew it was basically the same recipe, thanks Ted!

Will have to check this out!

I have always wanted to use Micarta with the edge grain (for lack of a better description) showing, as a spacer on a hidden tang knife. I think the parallel lines would look cool.

With your connections to the building industry - hit up a cabinet installer for a sink cut out of a Corian countertop. Something like 400 different colors to choose from. Or get a sample from a provider.

Well I am thinking the G 10 route. I worked around Corian I have seen it chip out where something struck it! So Corian makes me nervous!! I have checked into G-10. So far to get the colors I want and the thickness I want, it ain't cheap!!

Not that I want to make a cheap knife!:eek: It means the price has to go up or I need to find other material!!

I have the white bakelite I need so gonna go see what I can find on flea bay!!

Here is what I am looking at for colors! 1537842437070.png1537842488015.png1537842508492.png1537842488015.png

From the guard, alternating wh., red, wh., red, and finish off with a piece of stag!
I like it now if I can just talk my pocket book into it!! :p

When I first started making knives I searched and searched for handle material that was “cornhusker” red. G10 Red is not Husker red. Probably not the best pictures but you get the color differences. Top is g10 bottom is corian. I finally found a sink cut out in corian. Way better color fit for the Huskers.

Attachments

• 8F1FD335-0B48-461E-8A65-FFFE828A1B82.jpeg
    8F1FD335-0B48-461E-8A65-FFFE828A1B82.jpeg
    615.2 KB · Views: 5
  • 0ABC1F9F-FD53-4B18-A089-179DF301B2CD.jpeg
    0ABC1F9F-FD53-4B18-A089-179DF301B2CD.jpeg
    508.6 KB · Views: 5
Pop's knife supply has a limited selection of Micarta but his prices are very good. 3/8 thick 9.5" x 9.5" is $15.50 for canvass I think the linen is a little bit more like $18.50

Thanks guys, I am going back and look again today if I have time! What I really need is 1/4" but basically scales size. Their would be less waste with something like that! The ones I referenced were 1/4" X 8 1/2" X 11 1/2" so probably not that bad. Although I want them for this project and don't plan on making a bunch of knives that I would need them for!!

Cliff-Is this what you want to build? Combination of g10, brass, corian and antler. If so, do a bit of research on an old master by the name of “Scagel”.

Attachments

• 0FB5AE64-0C76-4B49-A2E0-9C8FDB4C33D3.jpeg
    0FB5AE64-0C76-4B49-A2E0-9C8FDB4C33D3.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 13
Thanks Dennis, what I am working has a similar handle but it is not that!! This knife was inspired by a character on the old Walton's Mountain show. He was only in two episodes and in one he had to go to jail for moonshining. He gave Johnboy his knife to hold. The knife caught my eye and well that is what I am about to try!!

Just looked up Scagel. I knew I had heard the name before! He did a lot of work similar to this piece I am working on!! It is possible after looking at Scagel's work the knife could have been one of his!! The knife belonged to Boone Walton on the show and it actually only shown but, for a fleeting moment in the show. In all actuality it looked out of place for the time period but, the look of that knife stuck in my mind.

When I first started making knives I searched and searched for handle material that was “cornhusker” red. G10 Red is not Husker red.

Hey, let me ask you are you the guy from Nebraska, that I have talked to several times??

Did you change your handle/name on the forum??
You use to go by DMK, DMO or something like that??

It just dawned on me who Dennis Morland is!!

Smallshop, changed his handle to Ted Hauser, (think I spelled that right), one day I saw something in a post that this Ted Hauser fella has a machine shop business,............. the light bulb went on and, :eek: I realized it was Smallshop/Ted Hauser were one in the same!!

I think this goes back to what Ed Caffery preaches, if you use your name as your handle, folks remember that!! OK, now that this thread is thoroughly derailed I got to do some more searches. I think I made up my mind to change colors for the knife I am working on!!

Last edited:
Back