Spindle sander?

That was on my mind as well. I’m going the Sorrentino route and using this one https://www.amazon.com/WEN-HA5932-V...d=1582672390&sprefix=oscillating+spind&sr=8-3 It’s a portable, but has even a stronger motore, 5a vs 3.5a. And making an adequate base and work surface will be....fun!
I like the variable speed aspect of that. Are you concerned that it only has 1/4" stroke? I like Ken's idea earlier about cutting down the roll when it gets worn. Especially if using it to shape thin materials like a blade. I presume these are intended to sand the edge of 1x or 2x wood/material, so more of the roll would be used and wear more evenly in that case.

I like the variable speed aspect of that. Are you concerned that it only has 1/4" stroke? I like Ken's idea earlier about cutting down the roll when it gets worn. Especially if using it to shape thin materials like a blade. I presume these are intended to sand the edge of 1x or 2x wood/material, so more of the roll would be used and wear more evenly in that case.

Of course I’d like more oscillation. But for that price, can’t really complain! I mitigate the loss by using different height spacers is all. That wall I’ll still be able to use the full length. Having any oscillation is a big, big bonus with sanding. And the bulk of my horizontal needs are simply removing the perpendicular grinding lines on the edges.

The variable speed function isn't as important as I was thinking when I first saw the Wen portable spindle sander. "IF" I did the calculations correctly at 3200 rpm the "belt speed" will only be around 1500 SFPM with a 2" drum. With a 3/4" drum only around 600 SFPM at 3200 rpm. That's slow enough not sure there will be any desire to slow down. I notice this with the Wen spindle sander I've got that is a fixed 2,000 rpm that gives barely 400 SFPM on a 3/4" drum, and with a 2" drum only around 1,000 SFPM belt speed. I wouldn't mind if it has 3000 rpm rather than 2,000. BUT - for wood it works pretty good, and on metal it's more for "cleaning up" rather than really shaping, even with the Zirc sleeves.

The variable speed function isn't as important as I was thinking when I first saw the Wen portable spindle sander. "IF" I did the calculations correctly at 3200 rpm the "belt speed" will only be around 1500 SFPM with a 2" drum. With a 3/4" drum only around 600 SFPM at 3200 rpm. That's slow enough not sure there will be any desire to slow down. I notice this with the Wen spindle sander I've got that is a fixed 2,000 rpm that gives barely 400 SFPM on a 3/4" drum, and with a 2" drum only around 1,000 SFPM belt speed. I wouldn't mind if it has 3000 rpm rather than 2,000. BUT - for wood it works pretty good, and on metal it's more for "cleaning up" rather than really shaping, even with the Zirc sleeves.
Is there much noticeable bogging down on your 2000rpm machine? I notice in the specs it's noted as "no-load" rpm. I suppose it depends on what you're grinding and how hard you press against it...

At the pressure I've applied with the 3" drum I didn't notice any bogging down. I'll have to try again tomorrow and pay attention - "IF" I can remember {g}

Back