St Jude donation sheath

roughcountry

Every year I donate a custom sheath on a trad archery website to benifit the kids at St Jude childrens hospital. The guys have a lot of fun and bid things up way higher than they should so I try to pull out all the stops and do the best I can for them.
I have a couple sheaths that were on the auction on photobucket so I thought I'd post them here. Can't make knives very good so I try to stick to cuttin leather.
IMG_0926.jpg

IMG_1036.jpg

The first blade is a Doug Campbell caper, not sure who made the second blade

Thanks for the nice coments guys, I'm a new guy here and might be able to contribute a little in this part of the forum. Most other's I'm just gonna watch and drool:)

Mike, the belt in the second picture is very old and in my collection. It was tooled by Bill Knight. He was at Ray Holes saddleshop for a short while and then Hamley & Co. when I was a kid. He was considered the top flower carver at Hamleys, thats a big deal because there were some real good carvers there at the time.
My carving is not as good as Bills but I'm trying, hopefully some day.

Always good to see nice carving here.Looking forward to seeing more of your work.Dave2thumbs

Thanks Dave & Kelly.
I mostly build working gear but every now and then I get to play with something like these two. Sure wished I'd have taken pictures of some sheaths I've done in the past.
Robin

Thanks Scalphunter, only drawback to the carved one's is they are harder to wetform. I try to do most of it on the backside. Robin

I'm proud to say Roughcountry has made several sheaths for me in the past. This is a recent one. I wish I had better pictures of some of the others.

This one will get a metal tip soon so its not finished but look at this carving. Notice the strap and button.

100_7369.jpg

100_7371.jpg

Thanks Bruce. You sure take better pics than me.

Chef, The little slide knot is a spanish ring knot. The other is tied over a four strand round braid. I'm not sure what the knot is called but I just call it a heel knot. Thats the simplest version and can be increased to cover a lot bigger area. The increased version can have colored strings added. The rawhide is soft when you tie the knots and drys hard.

The rawhide stays hard and works pretty good for a stud. The loop will stay on pretty good without the ring knot slid up but is real secure with it slid up to the heel knot.

These are just stuff I use building horse gear.

Gday guys,
I got to meet and hang out with Robin in his shop with Bruce Bump and the photo of the sheath that Bruce is holding may be a good photo, but, that carving in the flesh was just amazing. It looks to be almost a 1/4" deep, and the laced loop and stud are so well formed, they look machine made. Truly, an amazing talent and hell of a nice bloke to boot.2thumbs
Cheers Bruce

Robin!, I don't know where you have been posting, but this is the first of your amazing work I've seen and damn, brother you are good! I kind of get the idea from the carving that you may have built a custom saddle or two, huh? It is really good to see carving of that high calibre from time to time, and of course, the quality of your finish work just puts the cherry on top. Thanks for posting the pictures. Did I say you're good?!!!!!

Best Regards,

Paul

Wow guys, thanks.
Bruce, it was a great visit in my fancy shop- shed:D To short though.
I'm still laughing about the coment you made about your rent a car " bad for me image"

Paul, your coments really mean a lot to me. I've never had the chance to see your work but everyone I talk to says your the benchmark to work towards. This is the second blade forum I've ever been to so I'm pretty new to all this.

I see lots of sheath designs that I'd like to try. It's fun to try stuff I've never had the chance to do building saddles. Thanks again for the nice coments and making me feel welcome, great site you all have here. Robin

Back