Stabilizing Mammoth Ivory???

McClellan Made Blades

Hey Dogs,
Just got some of Nini's Mammoth Ivory in, it looks like great material, and at a price I could afford! Now for the questions, there are a couple of pieces that are showing a little seperation, would clamping and thin CA be the best way to fix this?

Also, when finishing the outside, what is the best way to smooth it out without destroying the existing finish? Thanks Dogs, Rex

Do not clamp and glue it or you will end up destroying it. Use many,many, coats of thin ca or whatever is needed of gap filling ca. to fill the hole or crack, or even leave it as it is Remove material from the bottom of the scale to get it at the thickness needed with just a touch more to be removed from the top. This can be a difficult thing to do. I sometimes grind the scale as a wedge to help do this.The thin part of the wedge is placed against the bolster; the back end is then ground down to suit.
Most of the time the top surface must be ground down a bit at the bolsters at least. I usually go 120, 220, 400, 30, 16. You can go over the surface with hand sanding at say 400 or finer and then polish on the buffer with white polish. I like to use green.

Frank,
THANK YOU so much for replying! The problem with these 2 are that they are seperating like ivory does in layers, is that what you're refering to fixing this way? It's like a layer is peeling back from the main body, I know this is fairly common with ivory, and not a major deal to fix.
But, I am curious, why would you not wany to push the seperating layer back to the main piece? It's proabaly a 1/4" or a little less from the whole piece, and I'm sure Alabama humidity aint' helping. Can you suggest the best product to use? If you need me to, I can take some pics tonight, Thanks Buddy!, Rex

Rex.
I misunderstood. It may not work well but yes, as you said, you can try placing some ca glue into the delamination and clamping it. Use some saran wrap or even a piece of plastic from an ordinary shoping bag under the clapping so that the glue isn't also onto the clamps as well.This only works sometimes. Frank

So would it be better to allow that layer to flake off or sand it down to size and adjust the handle to the size? One of them isn't completely separated, but you can see gaps between the layers. Fixing that correctly is what you referred to in your first response, just fill it up with thin CA or Stop a Gap type stuff? I scored some nice stuff, although it is on the small size, it was affordable and the perfect way to get my feet wet using this material,
Thanks Buddy, Rex

Rex.
My approach has been to remove the separating layer if it can be done without making the scales too thin. I also say to use course belts when it is necessary to remove lots. I use 60 and 120 grit.After that on the bottom I go to hand sanding to flaten with 120 and 220 on a granite table, but a piece of glass will work. Frank

Back