Stencil Lesson Learned

Bill Hubbell

KNIFE MAKER
I guess I learned something tonight (sorry about the low quality phone pics).
Mark 1.jpg
I was putting my maker's mark on the two knives I recently finished. One was kind of a prototype of a small knife, neck-knife, that I want to make a few more of. I etched it first.It wasn't quite as important as the other one-a Tanto I've been trying to get done for months. I hadn't etched any logos for awhile, so I started on the smaller knife and everything went well.

Then I thought I would use a new stencil to ensure as crisp of a mark as possible on this larger Tanto.

As I was etching the mark, I noticed that the last few letters of the new stencil were not turning color as they usually do as I etch. I continued to repeat the contact with the stencil and knife, tried turning my contact pad, and re-wet the pad, but the last few letters did not seem to be reacting right. Sure enough, when I removed the stencil, the last few letters had not etched.The knife was impeccably cleaned with alcohol and lacquer thinner just prior to the etch, and I didn't touch the area after cleaning. All I can think of is that the stencil may not have been cut all the way through.
I tried the stencil again on a piece of mild steel scrap, and got the same results.
Etch Retried.jpg

Tanto.jpg

What may save me is that with the profile being what it is, I can go back to the grinder and take off material down past the etch, and then work back through the grits and polish. I'm glad I chose to put the mark on the spine instead of in the ricasso area!
Anyway, I guess I will always try a new stencil once on a piece of mild steel before I use it on a more important piece.

Just thought I'd share that in case anyone here has had a similar experience etching (and just to whine!).
Thx,
Bill

Last edited:
I've never had this problem due to a bad stencil but I ALWAYS get my stencils from Ernie Grospitch at Blue Lightening stencils.

Bill
I order mine from IMG.... Here is my last set. Love them and they last again and again.... Great quality.

jjba7wA.jpg

Back