Stitches??

j elky

This past weekend I pulled one of my knives out of it's sheath to field dress a deer. I am right handed, but for some reason I grabbed the sheath with my right hand and the handle with my left. In the process of passing the knife to my right hand I managed to slice open my right index finger to the tune of 6 neat little stitches. Not really sure how I even managed this trick, but it got me to thinking. How many of you fellow knife makers have needed stitches from one of your own knives?

Jeff

This was my first with one of my knives and I've been making for about 10 years. Only other stitches were from a utility knife cutting vinyl siding.

"field dressing" a caribou in swamp alaskan outback deep cut thru nerves at base of left thumb - used butterfly stitches to close the wound - it was 5 days before doctor stitched it up with 6 stitches - this was 18 years ago and still have numbness due to severed nerves

Real knifemakers don’t have any fingers left to cut! LOL

Never got stitches from one of my own, but there’s been a couple times I probably should have. Usually it’s just the old duct tape and paper towels

Yeah, it's blue tape for me.
If I have super glue on hand that works pretty good too. I don’t have it on hand very often. Seems I get burns and grinder rash more than anything, except for one time I got my hand in a mill and kind of cut one of my fingers into a few more pieces than it is supposed to be. Good thing we got more fingers than we need!

I've only needed stitches once. Was doing a sharpening video of cutting paper with a super sharp knife and lets just say in the speed video I needed stitches. Other than that I've ground off more skin than I care to admit. Like my dad always said "if your going to be stupid you have to be tough"

In full disclosure- I was showing my wife the sharpness of one of by blades and on the second “watch this” I sliced the very tip of skin off my thumb. I don’t need to tell you all what she said. It could have been much much worse.

I've needed stitches twice in my shop, years ago, and stitched myself. it's pretty painless if you do it fast.
my new shop is 35 miles from a hospital, one way, so if I just need a few I'll do it again. something really bad of course calls for a doctor but for just a few stitches I'm not going thru all the hassle of finding a doc and go thru all the theatrics for a couple stitches.
like others said, now adays a few butterfly bandages, a good paper towel and tape and you'll be good in no time!

Back