Stupid ADD!!!

Chris Railey

OK, I am sick and tired of my stupid ADD causing me to omit steps in my process. Then I have to go back and do them later which is always a pain in the butt. You would think after so many knives you would have a process down but that is not the way it works with ADD. Imagine you are watching TV and someone else has the remote and is constantly changing the channels on you.
I have decided to create a checklist of my process and post it in my shop so I can go to it before each major step to make sure I have completed the previous step on that particular knife before proceeding. Since I am reducing this to an official list for my shop anyone care to give their process in order? I might like yours better who knows...

I’m the same way! I do a check list before every knife or sheath. That cuts down on my wanting to skip ahead. It also helps me to plan the build out and get my order of operations right.
The other thing I’ve done is to have 2 knives going at once. It doesn’t work for everyone but for me it helps with my lack of patience and when my mind wanders it has a place to land.

Luckily, when it comes to processes, I've been at it so long it's become muscle memory. NOW.....when it comes to going too and fro.... getting tools or items from one shop to the other (I have a hot shop and a finish shop) that's a totally different story. MANY times I'll get halfway between the shops and stop......and think to myself.... "What was I going here for?" Then....by the time I make it back to where I came from.....it's "OH!!! I remember!", then I take off again....and again forget halfway there. Not uncommon to go back the next time, repeating under my breath the entire way, what I'm going for! :)

i make checklists for everything. part of the fun is testing that checklist as you progress because often as you improve, so does the process. Process improvement is key. In the beginning sometimes it makes sense to do extra steps to make sure we do it right. As we get better and no longer need that extra step we can look at that list and shave off that wasted time. (It wasn’t wasted in the beginning, but now it is.)

I’m a big believer in working by the numbers. That doesn’t mean I won’t deviate, but I want to deviate on purpose. Almost all of my mistakes come from rushing the process.

Slow is smooth, and smooth is fast. When you go slow enough to do it right the first time, it’s always faster than doing it twice.

OK, I am sick and tired of my stupid ADD causing me to omit steps in my process. Then I have to go back and do them later which is always a pain in the butt. You would think after so many knives you would have a process down but that is not the way it works with ADD. Imagine you are watching TV and someone else has the remote and is constantly changing the channels on you.
I have decided to create a checklist of my process and post it in my shop so I can go to it before each major step to make sure I have completed the previous step on that particular knife before proceeding. Since I am reducing this to an official list for my shop anyone care to give their process in order? I might like yours better who knows...

I do a lot of the same as you! After reading all these posts looks like your in good company!!

I had it happen today, I was at my place in the woods since last Thursday, as I was about to leave the wife says, is everything turned off ? , I said yep, sure is, everything is put up and locked up...... And I'll shut the well pump and water valve off on the way to the gate.

Moments later....and away we go. about 20 miles down the road I look over at my wife and say guess what ?
What ? I forgot to turn the water and pump off..... back we go....o_O
I think Bruce and Ed may are onto something, I turned 58 last Thursday. I find myself going to find something and when I get there I just stare thinking what the heck was I looking for.

I'm going to put a close up list on the dash of my truck from now on. ;)

I think Bruce and Ed may are onto something, I turned 58 last Thursday. I find myself going to find something and when I get there I just stare thinking what the heck was I looking for.
;)
You just don’t know what you are in for.

I had it happen today, I was at my place in the woods since last Thursday, as I was about to leave the wife says, is everything turned off ? , I said yep, sure is, everything is put up and locked up...... And I'll shut the well pump and water valve off on the way to the gate.

Moments later....and away we go. about 20 miles down the road I look over at my wife and say guess what ?
What ? I forgot to turn the water and pump off..... back we go....o_O

I'm going to put a close up list on the dash of my truck from now on. ;)
Many years ago when I was a kid of about 11 or so, our family went on a long trip. Dad always liked to start early, so we were on the road by about 6. Were moving along freeway speed for about 3-4 hours when my Mom suddenly declares "I left the iron on!" We had to turn around of course.

To say Dad wasn't happy is an understatement. So consider yourself lucky that it was only twenty miles. :)

Now where did I put my glasses?

My problem is getting distracted along the way. The color printer at work is in another part of the building and I have to walk past several people or offices to get there. Invariably somebody (or 2 or 3) stops me and asks a question along the way. By the time I'm done with them and go back to my office, I realize I forgot to grab the thing off the printer... whole process repeats itself... and then I have to go potty.

Here is my checklist draft. I am going to make a few using it and re-evaluate. It seems mundane but when I have four or five knives going at the same time it should help keep me focused IF I use it.

Knife Checklist
  • Design
  • Drill Holes
  • Grind Edge
  • Rough Grind Bevels
  • Harden Blade
  • Temper
  • Finish Grind
  • Thin Edge to Sharpening Thickness
  • Apply Tre-wax or EDCI
  • Tape Blade
  • Glue First Scale
  • Drill Scale Holes
  • Glue Second Scale
  • Drill Second Scale Holes
  • Affix Pins and Lanyard Tube
  • Shape Handle
  • Finish Sand Handle
  • Final Clean-up

Here is my checklist draft. I am going to make a few using it and re-evaluate. It seems mundane but when I have four or five knives going at the same time it should help keep me focused IF I use it.

Knife Checklist

• Design
  • Drill Holes
  • Grind Edge
  • Rough Grind Bevels
  • Harden Blade
  • Temper
  • Finish Grind
  • Thin Edge to Sharpening Thickness
  • Apply Tre-wax or EDCI
  • Tape Blade
  • Glue First Scale
  • Drill Scale Holes
  • Glue Second Scale
  • Drill Second Scale Holes
  • Affix Pins and Lanyard Tube
  • Shape Handle
  • Finish Sand Handle
  • Final Clean-up
I find it interesting that you glue one scale on and drill. And then glue the second scale on and drill.
For a scale knife I use double sided tape to bond the two rectangular scale pieces i’m going to use. I clamp these in the drill vise and position the blade with the pre-drilled holes on top of the scales and clamp in place with a c clamp. After I drill the holes I remove them from the vise. Before removing the blade I use a yellow pencil to outline the blade handle on the scales. I remove the blade keeping the pins in place. I then band saw to the yellow line. I then mount the scales marked L and R on the blade. I grind the scales to the handle profile. I remove the scales and re- position the blade over the stacked scales. I mark the front of the scales to line up with the plunge line or the shape I want as well as the distance from the plunge line. I remove the blade and make the cuts. I the finish sand the front of the scales and polish or buff them.
I take everything apart and prepare them for the glue up.
I’vr Never thought about mounting and drilling them one at a time. I may try that. Or use double sided tape so I can take them on and off until i’m ready for the final glue up.

I find it interesting that you glue one scale on and drill. And then glue the second scale on and drill.
For a scale knife I use double sided tape to bond the two rectangular scale pieces i’m going to use. I clamp these in the drill vise and position the blade with the pre-drilled holes on top of the scales and clamp in place with a c clamp. After I drill the holes I remove them from the vise. Before removing the blade I use a yellow pencil to outline the blade handle on the scales. I remove the blade keeping the pins in place. I then band saw to the yellow line. I then mount the scales marked L and R on the blade. I grind the scales to the handle profile. I remove the scales and re- position the blade over the stacked scales. I mark the front of the scales to line up with the plunge line or the shape I want as well as the distance from the plunge line. I remove the blade and make the cuts. I the finish sand the front of the scales and polish or buff them.
I take everything apart and prepare them for the glue up.
I’vr Never thought about mounting and drilling them one at a time. I may try that. Or use double sided tape so I can take them on and off until i’m ready for the final glue up.
I cannot take credit for the idea I got it reading The Complete Bladesmith years ago and I have done it that way since. I can promise you though if you do it that way you will never have a problem with the holes not aligning when you affix your pins. Because the tang is your drilling guide it is always perfect.

I *ALWAYS* prep my scales (drill pin holes, rough profile/shape) before fastening them to the tang, let alone even before finish grinding and sanding the blade.

I always drill each scale separately from the other, placed where each actually sits on the tang.

I don't really see a way where the pins wouldn't line up with this method either.

If there is a way I would find it I promise you. I am not sure what order my list shows on your screen but finish grinding the blade is way before handle work...

It shows that way.

I was saying I get my handle scales fit with holes drilled and rough shaping done even before I worry about finishing the blade.

I don't like like the looming sense of 'finality' that gluing scales on forces any sooner than necessary.

I also don't like handling and taping/wrapping a finished blade any longer/more than necessary.

The more I can get done prior to finishing and covering the blade, the better.

Back