Sub Hilt fund raiser WIP

Bruce Bump

Forum Owner-Moderator
This the knife we are selling raffle tickets for. Its is an almost perfect full sized replica of the real thing a Bob Loveless Sub Hilt Fighter.

I photo-copied a tracing from Steve Johnson to get the proper handle. This guard and blade length is taken from one of the Bob Loveless book entitled "Living on the Edge" page 88-89 The blade is 8 1/2" long and the over-all length is 14".

Its one of my favorite all time Loveless knives so we are going to make it together. This is the first collaboration between Mike and Myself. We are going to have a stencil made with both names for it.

Ken Hurst has graciously offered to engrave the flats on the guards and the bolts heads.

Steve Johnson has given us the tracing and the bolts plus any technical and moral support we may need.

The steel is CPM 154 cm and the heat treating will be by Paul Bos

The guards will be 416 stainless steel

The handle will be Sambar Stag from Alpha Knifemakers Supply and amber dyed by Culpepper and Co.

Paul Long will be making a sheath for it too.

This is going to be a very nice fighter

Change in Plans: The drawing date has been changed to Saturday November 7th at 12:00 Noon. Need not be present to win, I will contact you if you bought the winning ticket.
Thanks guys for sending checks and Money orders. The time is growing close to the drawing date so if anybody else sends monies please email me also so you can get your tickets in the jar before the drawing day of November 7th. We will draw at 12:00 PM (noon) pacific time. and post the results at that time. I'm really excited about this drawing. We,ve never done this before and its been a fun, rewarding ride since the beginning.

This is the one I like so much
orig-1.jpg

Here is one in stag. Ours will be very very much like this one
staglovelesssubhilt.jpg

Here is our rendition of the SR Johnson tracing and page 88-89 of Living on the edge book and #233 subhilt by Bob Loveless. I think its a good combination of all three knives.
100_4112_edited.jpg

Click on this link to the Raffle Page to purchase tickets. http://knifedogs.com/showthread.php?t=1683

Last edited:
This was a very big roll but it needs to be because of the handle pommel. I sliced it down to save weight and shipped it to Culpepper for the amber dye process. It will come out of the vat on the 24th of this month. That gives us time to work on the blade, guards and have the blade heat treated too.

100_4102_edited.jpg

100_4104_edited.jpg

100_4109_edited.jpg

This is going to be SWEET!!!
That is some nice stag bruce. When is the raffle going to be held and when & where do ya buy the tickets. This is also one of my favorite knives. Steve Johnson did a great job on the DVD How To Make A Subhilt Fighter. I have'nt got the guts to try one yet, But I would like to. All in due time I guess. I'll be watching! Thanks

Thanks Shane and Mike.
A fellow maker, Craigb from over on BF just donated the guard and sub hilt stainless. I couldnt buy it every place I tried today. What a great guy!

The steel came in today so Mike and I got it cut out, profiled and drilled for the handle scales and lanyard.
100_4113_edited.jpg

100_4115_edited.jpg

100_4119_edited.jpg

100_4121_edited.jpg

100_4123_edited.jpg

100_4125_edited.jpg

100_4127_edited.jpg

Oh Boy, Oh Boy, Oh Boy! This is going to be great!

This is one of my all-time favorite knives too - probably responsible for me wanting to be a knifemaker, though I've never had the huevos to try to make one. I have Steve Johnson's video too, and all I can say is, it convinced me I'm not ready to try this yet. :D Watching you guys will be almost as fun though.

That's some beautiful stag Bruce, and I have to say it must be wonderful to work in the shop with your son. That's what good living will do for both of you. My hat's off to you guys.

I have one question - do your shop mascots ever get sharp curlies in their feet? (What are their names again?) I felt awful one day when I let Lucy into my shop when I hadn't swept up; she was chewing on her foot for a couple of days after that. Yikes! That's motivation for good housekeeping. :) My granddaughter has a habit of coming down there in her sock feet too, and I'm constantly reminding her to watch where she steps, because I'm such a slob sometimes.

Oh Boy, Oh Boy, Oh Boy! This is going to be great!

Dave, Elly on the left and Lucy on the right. Its a mother daughter team. You can tell they are excited about this sub hilt too. They dont seem to get metal in their feet and its not because of my clean shop because I dont sweep up very often.
It is nice to have Mike in the shop with me. For these stock removal knives we are pretty much interchangeable and hes only been making knives a couple years. He has never forged one yet but has been around my work for 2/3rds of his life. The kid is educated and has a good job with the PD so I only get him part time.

Johnny, Good eye for wild game. My brother from Montana shot that one. He said the 4 point that was with it got in the brush.:D

Bruce this will be fun to follow. You and Mike deserve a pat on the back for helping those in need. 2thumbs

Craig

Bruce, how thick is the stock you're using for this knife? It occurred to me that I've never asked you about that, and on this particular knife I'm probably going to drive you nuts.

You have a great looking family there. :) I'd come pester you if I didn't live so far away. I guess you can count your blessings.

Bruce, how thick is the stock you're using for this knife? It occurred to me that I've never asked you about that, and on this particular knife I'm probably going to drive you nuts.

You have a great looking family there. :) I'd come pester you if I didn't live so far away. I guess you can count your blessings.

Hi Dave, Pester away man.
The stock came in at .212-.220" but needs the scale knocked off. It will be about .195" I think after its surface ground. The one in the video is .187" Steve says.

Hey I have a studio appartment in the shop. Come on over. :)

The BossDog has set the pace. He is the first one to pay and as of right now his chances of winning is 100% :bud:

I'd like to declare this raffle closed....

but I can't...

send in your stuff...this is a chance to get you a Bruce Bump that will be exceptional!...

Paypal sent

Lets help spread the word on this one fellas.

Bruce thank you for allowing God to work through you and your family.

Sean

Finally got off the computer long enough to get the blank surface ground. It now measures .0210" and is staight as an arrow. This is about as far a we can go until the 416 arrives Teusday for the guard and hilt.
100_4180.jpg

100_4184.jpg

100_4186.jpg

I have the stencil on order too. Here it is:
BumpBruceMichael.jpg

Last edited:
Back