Sumthin new (to me, anyway)

Bruce McLeish

Have any of y'all heard of torrified wood ? I was looking evil bay and a vendor was advertising maple burl as such. Turns out it's real. It's a heat treat for wood. You can Google it. Seems was developed for guitars and has now migrated to knives and guns. Don't know that I trust it for longevity, but I may buy a piece and try it. Ifin I do, I'll let y'all know. (Everyone except bladegrinder that is !)

Last edited:
It became popular (again) in guitars about ten years back. I have several guitars with baked necks and one with a baked pine body. Does it do anything?
Sells guitars… :)

Last edited:
Have any of y'all heard of torrified wood ? I was looking evil bay and a vendor was advertising maple burl as such. Turns out it's real. It's a heat treat for wood. You can Google it. Seems was developed for guitars and has now migrated to knives and guns. Don't know that I trust it for longevity, but I may buy a piece and try it. Ifin I do, I'll let y'all know. (Everyone except bladegrinder that is !)
I'd be horrified if you didn't tell me about your torrified wood.
I've read about it but I don't recall hearing of it being used for knife handles.

Be careful with that stuff, I think it may contain substances that are known to cause cancer in California, just like brass and plastic sandwich bags. :D

So I asked my very smart nephew who has a degree in tree stuff (that's my country way of saying he knows stuff about forests and their applications for structural purposes, and what effects different conditions had on strength and blah blah blah) about the heat treated woods (cooked at like 350F in zero oxygen) and he said it does two things: it lowers the average moisture level with respect to ambient conditions compared to untreated wood, and it reduces the swing due to changes in ambient conditions compared to untreated wood.

So...if you are a fella like me that prefers to use a natural wood (though I use relatively little) you might find this of interest and benefit.

Back