Supplied Air vs. particulate filter... thoughts?

REK Knives

Hey guys. I wanted to get everyone's take and experience on this. Currently I use the 3m Half mask with the P100 particulate cartridges from amazon while in my shop. It is extremely important to me to protect my lungs (and it should be to you too!)

So I am not really sure if this is cutting it or not... I don't really know if/when they get breakthrough. I have used this set of filters for about 3-4 months and even used it when cerakoting last time (normally I use a military gas mask w/ the 40mm NATO Israeli filter on it but it is pretty heavy, so I used the half mask last time). Well, when I did I could smell some of the acetone in the brake cleaner I was using (so the break through as far as chemicals is obvious, but i'm not sure about the particulates).

E.g. my wife cleans a house for another lady once in a while. she is allergic to dogs (asthma) and the lady has dogs. I told her she could use my half mask while she cleaned. she told me later that she put it on for a few minutes but the "metal" smell was over powering and she took it off. I thought that was funny because she shouldn't have been able to smell that through the filters.

Another thing that is making me wonder if I'm getting break through is that I have lost the upper range of my voice lately, and I am wondering if it is related to breathing in abrasive dust.

Anyway, I want to be really sure that what I am doing is working. This isn't one of those things you want to play around with, and I did for the first year or so of using powered equipment - I never wore anything but then I got wiser =).

Should I just change filters more often?

Another thing is that I have a gas powered air compressor in my shop, and I am having issues w/ getting the exhaust routed outside (I have it routed through the ceiling as my shop is an enclosed trailer, but it still 'leaks' some from the muffler area). I normally leave the side door open on the trailer. But a couple of times I have gotten pretty bad headaches afterward that lasted for hours, a sign of carbon monoxide poisoning I think (not good!) and one of these times was with my NATO filter on it - which I don't think protects against carbon monoxide.

That being said, do you think I should go with a supplied air unit or simply:

1. make sure I get the exhaust problem fixed
2. use my gas mask but put a hose extension on it to a good quality 3m 40mm NATO filter that I could just attach on my belt (so it's not so heavy)

My only reservation with an air supplied unit is:

1. price
2. this can happen

Dang man, it sounds like your risking your life in a real way. I work for a natural gas company and every year we hear of people dying from carbon monoxide, and not from reading about it in the paper. you need to get that compressor outdoors. just seconds away from a headache is falling out and never waking up. you need to think about your loved ones more than a better way to exhaust that thing. as far as filters, you need the type that absorb organic vapors, there not cheap, but there the best and last pretty long. sorry about the rant on C O but nobody want's to go out like that, move the compressor, we all want to hear from you again.

Yeah no joke man! I really need to.... I just purchased a carbon monoxide detector at least so now I know when it is dangerous!

Is there anyway you move the compressor outside your shop under some type of shelter and pipe in the air? Or sell the gas powered compressor and use the money to buy an electric power compressor.

What your doing right now sounds pretty dangerous, you really need to find a solution to this before you get hurt.

Is there anyway you move the compressor outside your shop under some type of shelter and pipe in the air? Or sell the gas powered compressor and use the money to buy an electric power compressor.

What your doing right now sounds pretty dangerous, you really need to find a solution to this before you get hurt.

I definitely appreciate your concern!

Well right now my compressor is in my 8x16' enclosed trailer and sits in my driveway... it's not one of those things that I can just "add on" to the side of my trailer. I really need to sell my trailer and get a larger shop, then I could build on an outside portion for the air compressor. As far as electric goes, I need my compressor to be larger than what a single phase can handle, so I would need 3 phase. But I am sure you are aware of the issues (having to re-wire everything for 3 phase, it's a pretty big deal). So I think I will look into upgrading my shop and putting it outside, seems to be the safest solution!

They make single phase 220v compressors that are very powerful.

Replacing your filters is not based on time but rather the amount of work you do. If your in a trailer you can still move the compressor outside to use it. Your life may just be worth it. Buy P100 / Organic Vapor filters. If you can smell what you are working on change the filter immediately.

Supplied air that is coming from a contaminated area would be worst than what you have now.

Are you sure you're 'clearing & doning' it properly?
OK, thats military speak, for when we did gas mask training, in the gas chamber
we had to clear the CS gas out of it then SEAL IT!
Its a simple process where you close off the outlet with your hand and blow out,
to check for leaks,if there are leaks you will feel them, fix them, then suck into the mask
hard, if its sealed it will pull into your face. A lot of folks do not know or do this.
You may, but if you dont, it is a practice that must be put into place.
REX

Back