Surface grinder conversion to belt from stone

Pelallito

After seeing all those nice tools that you guys have made, I was ready to order a part, when I remembered having something similar in the bottom of a drawer.
I pulled it out and , cheapskate that I am, wondered if I could somehow use it without altering it in any way. Who knows, it might have some collectors value. LOL
So I got some dimensions and decided to make this
SF 7.jpg
to fit this
SF 2.jpg another shot SF 6.jpg

and this - SF10.jpgSF 11.jpg Got it. Photos and more info to follow.
Thanks,
Fred

Last edited by a moderator:
Well I finally talked to Fred and now know what this is all about. Boy does he think outside the box!

And yes, he can be cheap and make something rather than spend knife making money on it! LOL...

Years ago, I bought from Ann at Sheffield knife a 6" by 2" ConeLok wheel. I tried it on the only motor I had. A 3600 RPM buffer! Needless to say, it did not work well for me, and I threw it in a drawer.
I was thinking of making a belt adapter for my surface grinder and I was going to talk to Sunray about a wheel when I remembered the CL.
I decided to take some measurements and see if I could use it on my SG.
I decided I could, took some quick measurements and between the time I took the measurements and cut off the brass stock, I made a mistake( write down calculations, don't try to remember them).
After boring out and threading the female side of my adapter, and turning down the male side to length, I found out it was too short.:(
I tried to come up with a way of fixing it, but eventually decided to start over. That hurt.
This time I measured and wrote everything down, and cut it off longer than I needed. Here it is-SF9.jpg
I bored the female side and threaded 1.250 X 18 TPI UNEF left hand to fit the threaded mandrel I had made to fit the SF spindle nut.
I threaded the male part of it to 1/2" X 28 TPI UNEF left hand and then made a nut to match.
Here it is mounted on SG-SF8.jpg
And here is the CL mounted on SG.
SF 3.jpg
I ground in the ConeLok wheel after mounting it.

Thanks for looking.
Fred

To report on the conelok conversion-
I got a chance yesterday to experiment with it. I used it to cut through some mill scale on a 1/8th piece of 440C that George Bracket gave me. It was taking it off, but not as fast as I wanted. So I kept moving the table up a bit at a time and observing the wheel deflection as pressure increased. Wheel seems to be hard enough for light cuts, but when I kept pushing the envelope, suddenly my afternoon got very exciting when the paper blew off the wheel. I am quite willing to admit I jumped back from the surface grinder as fast as I could.LOL
I finished taking off the mill scale on my KMG clone.:blush:
Fred

Back