"Tactical" Tomahawk Request

Entropy762

So one of my coworkers asked if I could make him a tactical tomahawk. Similar to the RMJ and that style. He wants the one piece style or integrated type. I don't know what steel to use. 5160 maybe. Any how where would a guy be able to find a piece of steel say 1/4"×8"×18" or so?

Jacob

I hate to see threads go without any responses but I do not believe I can help you find steel of that size. I assume (because of the nature of your question) that you do not have the equipment to forge the hawk?

Yes... Tough to find that steel in a 8" width... I looked around a bit and the widest I could find is 4". Not sure how wide a leaf spring out of a piece of heavy equipment might be... possibly 8" on a big rig. But regular car and truck leaf springs won't be that wide.

Thanks guys. I do have a forge but I need to get some propane for it. After looking around I'll probably get some of the 4 inch wide 5160.

Jacob

Call your steel provider. I happen to buy bulk from a supplier and they have a great store front but not everything they sell is in it. You want to make sure you have enough to get the job done when you start your project. Will 4” really draw out to what you need and give you room to work?

Erik

Back