Taking the dive into knife making

Mudman

Hey guys,

I recently decided to finally give a go at knife making, after wanting to pursue it for a while. Over the past few months I've been slowly buying tools and piecing things together. Although not the most ideal location, the only space available is my backyard under a 10'x10' canopy.

At the moment these are the tools in my possession:
HF 1x30 belt grinder with various Norton Norax belts
Milwaukee 6232 Portaband
Swag Offroad Portaband table
Bandsaw for wood
Angle grinder
Drill press

I've also got a few common tools that may or may not help me with the knife making.

Along with the above mentioned tools, I have been learning blacksmithing at home- using a Chile Forge Habanero. Which will hopefully be a good way to heat treat the blades as well.

Are there any other specific tools that you guys would recommend?

A KMG grinder with 10'' contact wheel and flat platen will be my next purchase, once they are back in stock. I have also ordered various belts for it.

Thanks!
Mud

These are 3 designs I cut out, inspired by the woodlore and Skookum Bush tool that I've always admired.

Mud,
Welcome to KDs. If you are every going to be in Santa Monica you are welcome to stop by. PM me if you would like to come by and talk knives?

Laurence

Welcome Mudman...you will find this forum to be a treasure trove of information. I started much like you under a canopy in the backyard once we sold off all of our horses I converted two of my horse stall into my shop. I also am using a Habanero forge and I love it...keep us posted on your progress.

Welcome to the forum Mudman.

looks like your well on your way to making a knife. you didnt say what you might be interested in making and that might affect the tools you will get.

your already looking at upgrading to a 2 x 72 and that one alone will be a life changer. the belts available will allow you to do things you just cant do with a 1 x 30

you might want to think about getting a 12" disk grinder for flattening your parts. even with a flat platten a belt gives you a rolled edge.

Erik

ps.. might want to edit your profile and put a first name in so we can get to know you.

Mud,
Welcome to KDs. If you are every going to be in Santa Monica you are welcome to stop by. PM me if you would like to come by and talk knives?

Laurence
Thanks Laurence,

I will keep that in mind. You are not too far from me, I'd love to stop by sometime.
Welcome Mudman...you will find this forum to be a treasure trove of information. I started much like you under a canopy in the backyard once we sold off all of our horses I converted two of my horse stall into my shop. I also am using a Habanero forge and I love it...keep us posted on your progress.
Thanks! I will post my progress once the KMG is in and I get some steel. Right now all I have is mild steel from the blacksmithing.
Welcome to the forum Mudman.

looks like your well on your way to making a knife. you didnt say what you might be interested in making and that might affect the tools you will get.

your already looking at upgrading to a 2 x 72 and that one alone will be a life changer. the belts available will allow you to do things you just cant do with a 1 x 30

you might want to think about getting a 12" disk grinder for flattening your parts. even with a flat platten a belt gives you a rolled edge.

Erik

ps.. might want to edit your profile and put a first name in so we can get to know you.
Thanks Erik,

The KMG will be used for many things including stock removal blades. I am hoping to forges all kinds of tools, as Blacksmithing gets better. I want to make, axes, tongs, pliers, hook knives, chisels, machetes, and bushcraft type blades along with other tools.

I am looking into getting a disk grinder as well, but that may be a while as most of my funds is going into the KMG. At the moment- I am most interested from the disk grinder from Trugrit or KMG.

Welcome, Mudman! Glad to see you over here, man. This forum is the best place to learn and hope to see you posting some work real soon.

Welcome to KD!

Sounds like you got it covered. No pun intended. I started with a small corner of the back porch and own it all now.

Thanks guys! I'm excited to start, been watching the Beaumont site like a hawk for a few days now. Waiting for the grinder to be back in stock. I've been selling a lot of things, and pinching pennies to finally buy the grinder.

If you want a grinder from Rob call him ans order it. Have you looked at the Hardcore products 1/1/2 hp variable in the cast alunimium? for a few hundred more you are getting a very smooth machine. www.trugrit.com

I own both and the Hardcore is so smooth and tracks perfectly.

If you want a grinder from Rob call him ans order it. Have you looked at the Hardcore products 1/1/2 hp variable in the cast alunimium? for a few hundred more you are getting a very smooth machine. www.trugrit.com

I own both and the Hardcore is so smooth and tracks perfectly.
I called Friday, he said there wouldn't be any in stock until MAYBE upcoming week.

I've looked at the Hardcore grinders, and like the KMG design better. With that said, even if I like the Hardcore more, it's well out of my price range. The KMG is about max of what I can pay. Already have a Lesson motor on standby, belts from tru grit should be here tomorrow or tuesday. Baseplate, tooling arm, small wheel attachment, pulleys, etc. should be here by Friday. I'm just waiting for the 10 wheel and platen package to be back in stock.

If you are going that route you could build the no weld grinder from Bossdog at the top of the page.
Midwest knife maker.

If you are going that route you could build the no weld grinder from Bossdog at the top of the page.
Midwest knife maker.
Already committed to the KMG after ordering parts.

The NWG was on my list for a while as well, but I decided on the KMG after a few friend's that have them recommended it.

I'm excited to see your progress! Keep us posted.

On the grinder side note, how about I built my NWG about 6mo ago with the total cost being around $1500. I just found a local craigslist posting with a welded NWG for $750 with all the attachments! I was so bummed lol.... Oh well, such is life!

I'm excited to see your progress! Keep us posted.

On the grinder side note, how about I built my NWG about 6mo ago with the total cost being around $1500. I just found a local craigslist posting with a welded NWG for $750 with all the attachments! I was so bummed lol.... Oh well, such is life!
Thanks! I'm excited to start, it's been fun so far setting up for it. I built my first work bench a few days ago for the KMG. Gotta say the miter saw purchase was worth it, up until then I was using a jig saw to cut pieces of 2x4 and nothing would ever line up perfect.

Yup, with anything, there is always a better deal elsewhere. Problem is, you usually see it AFTER you buy it at full price.

I also ordered a rotary platen today and 1-1/8'' small wheel from Beaumont. It's going to be like christmas when everything comes in.

Today's work:
Decided I wanted to beef up the vertical support, so I doubled up on 2x4's, glued and clamped.

Also stopped by HF for some Pipe Clamps, these are awesome! Only heard of them just 2 weeks ago, this would have come in handy so many times in the past. Picked up C clamps, quick clamps- then zoomed over to lowes for the Paint and rollers.

Painted what I could with the little energy I had left. Now I remember why I hate painting anything.

Grinder came in today- which I am stoked about. However they didn't send me tracking- had I not been home the box would have been left there. Not thrilled about it, but luckily I was home. My last order with them, bolts were forgotten. This one now has an aluminum tooling arm, even though I specifically requested a steel one several times via email and mentioned at least 3 times by phone. Beaumont makes a great product from what I have seen so far, but their service is sub par from my experience with them.

A few other knife designs I drew. I'm finding it really difficult to come up with something unique. Just when it feels like I've got something- a few minutes on the web proves me wrong.

Back