Talks and Demos for 2018

Kevin R. Cashen

Super Moderator
Well it is another year and I am starting to get requests for talks and demos at hammer-ins and other events. But after so many years I am just out of fresh ideas that people would like to hear or see. So I thought I would bounce the idea off any body who would like to give me input on what they would like to see if coming to a hammer-in. What topics do you folks think would be good ones that I could present this year?

KenH

Kevin - I notice Jess has been the only person to comment - please don't take that as lack of interest. I'm sure most folks are like me thinking - Kevin, just talk 'n demo most anything and I'll find it worthwhile, interesting, and will learn something new, so have not commented.

Anything you talk about is so interesting and informative. While I've never had the honor of meeting you in person, I've watched many of your videos and read LOTS of your writing. While I can agree with Jess about Cyro, your talks on historical daggers 'n swords are just mind boggling to me.

You might think about your audience at each event - are they going to be mostly knowledgeable skilled knifemakers? OR will there be several newbies mixed in? BUT - you do have the ability to take a very technical subject and present in a manner ever a newbie like myself finds it interesting, and even more important - I learn something.

If you've got an event with lots of newbies, a forging demo would be awesome. Maybe a demo of pattern welded billet?

Ken H>

Smallshop

KNIFE MAKER
Non-stop Q&A on a variety of subjects. The attendees get to email you questions up 2 weeks before the event. You get to answer them publicly.

Kevin R. Cashen

Super Moderator
I'd love to hear about cryo.
I'm not sure many folks would like to hear what I have to say about cryo, it is not as exciting as the popular conceptions. As I gear up my lab more and more, I may have the time and resources to actually shed some objective light on the cryo thing, after all, I don't sell cryo service, or get paid to do research and testing for cryo services. Until them I simply remain hopeful that a percentage of the marketing will eventually be shown to be true in matters beyond retained austenite.

Kevin R. Cashen

Super Moderator
Kevin - I notice Jess has been the only person to comment - please don't take that as lack of interest. I'm sure most folks are like me thinking - Kevin, just talk 'n demo most anything and I'll find it worthwhile, interesting, and will learn something new, so have not commented.

Anything you talk about is so interesting and informative. While I've never had the honor of meeting you in person, I've watched many of your videos and read LOTS of your writing. While I can agree with Jess about Cyro, your talks on historical daggers 'n swords are just mind boggling to me.

You might think about your audience at each event - are they going to be mostly knowledgeable skilled knifemakers? OR will there be several newbies mixed in? BUT - you do have the ability to take a very technical subject and present in a manner ever a newbie like myself finds it interesting, and even more important - I learn something.

If you've got an event with lots of newbies, a forging demo would be awesome. Maybe a demo of pattern welded billet?

Ken H>
Yes, it is always a tough act to balance the information to be engaging for both beginners and advance. I have found that the safer bet is to appeal to the beginners, there are more of them, and their awe, excitement and fascination with this whole new world is infectious. I must confess that after a lifetime of bladesmithing one gets a bit jaded, but I do indeed find myself living vicariously through my students and their enthusiasm. Historical work is a recurring interest that I may have to take more time with. The dagger thing has been done quite a bit, but there are other possibilities in ancient blades.

Kevin R. Cashen

Super Moderator
Non-stop Q&A on a variety of subjects. The attendees get to email you questions up 2 weeks before the event. You get to answer them publicly.
Now that is creative! I really like it, but it hinges on getting those e-mails. If you plan on it and promote it and then only get a couple useable e-mails, it could be tricky. Hmmm, I will keep that one in mind. Thanks!

Smallshop

KNIFE MAKER
Now that is creative! I really like it, but it hinges on getting those e-mails. If you plan on it and promote it and then only get a couple useable e-mails, it could be tricky. Hmmm, I will keep that one in mind. Thanks!
In the event that email response was poor, I would tackle areas that you know most of us "crash and burn" in...you have enough anecdotal evidence of our collective ignorance and superstition to know where to proceed...LOL!