Tanner Bond contract cement?

springer82

I'm on my 2nd sheath now. I have been waiting 24 hours after applying contact cement per instructions. Has anyone started working on the sheath just after pounding. That would be a major improvement.

I don't wait 24 hours before stitching usually. I let it dry, put it together with some small clamps for a couple hours, then start the stitching process. I drill my holes and that method isn't not too hard on the glue joint.

I punched the last on on the first side then after gluing I drilled the 2nd side. I was planning to punch both sides this time. I stilled let it dry 24 hours before finishing the 2nd side. Only because that is what they say for full cure. Maybe drilling is a better way?

I use a rubber cement that will stick just as soon as it looses it's glossiness. I stick the welt and the two sides of the sheath together then cut the excess welt material even with the edges of the sheath. After that I cut the stitching groove into both edges of the sheath with a groover and lay out my stitches with a stitching wheel. I then use a curtain needle chucked up into my drill press and use the press to push the needle through the leather to pre-punch the holes.

I favor the punching with a needle over actually drilling the holes because if I miss the groove on the other side of the sheath I can smooth it out with a carving spoon and adjust the hole with a hand awl.

Doug

I've been using Weld bond for years. it's a white glue and it works great for leather, you can stitch in one hour.
7184hzYYQML._SL1500_.jpg

Back