Teak as handle material?

Terrorbl

Just like the title says. Does Teak make good handle material - won't split, crack, etc.? I want to go down to the boating supply, pick up a 4 foot section, marry it up to my old Tops Moccassin Ranger and shape away.

Anyone have any pros or cons to Teak?

T

I've only worked a little with teak burl, and that stuff clogs sand paper like crazy. I don't particularly like working with it. You might have to wipe the bonding side with lacquer thinner to get the oils off of it so it will adhere properly. If you're not gluing it to the blade, that won't be a problem. A pro for teak is that due to it's oily nature, I don't think it needs to be coated or treated with anything. Good luck!

It works good i have used it with no problems just make sure you clean it good and use pins as well as epoxy to seal out any moisture.

Bob

It's the most stable wood in existence (mesquite is 2nd). I've never worked with it but it seems ideal to me because of that.

Thanks for all the input. Wanted to get to it this weekend but looks like it's gonna have to wait till next.
For those who commented - the existing handles are micarta secured with screws/standoffs. Planned on replacing the existing screws with stainless as I'm gonna strip the duracoat off and give the blade a light sheen. Want to upgrade/give a little class to the blade and teak came to mind. Will post pics when I get started.

Have a great weekend.

I think it makes a great handle material. My Mother has been using her paring knife in fiddleback teak for a while now, and it keeps looking better with age.

Here's a chef done up in teak and blackwood.
3077544247_a7500ba18f_o.jpg

The grain will raise a little bit. Just wet it a knock the feathering off with a little sandpaper. It does tend to gunk up sandpaper a bit, but not as bad as most rosewoods.

I didn't think it was too expensive. The material I have (highly figured!) was only about $30/bf; that's way under most handle materials.

Phillip

Still looking for some teak? I do have a little I can send your way. I do take trades! I like trades. I will post some pics as soon as I learn how.

James Clair, Archer Moon.

It should be a great material IMO.

US Navy's battleship Missouri BB63 (and others in its class) has/had a teak deck. Bit warped over 70 years but it's known as character. Bit of tea oil periodically should keep it looking nice.

Finally got around to this project though not on the intended knife - A buddy approached me about making a kydex sheath for his Ontario Rat 7. When he showed me the knife (a beater) I noticed the micarta was damaged and asked if he would mind if I changed them out.
It wasn't till last week that I had time to work on it - light work on the finish with 300 grit sandpaper, tried to clean up some damage done batoning, smoothed the spine, attached the TEAK. Spent most of yesterday hand shaping the the handles using 220 grit. Still a ways to go.

What's the best way to treat the handles? I have Watco Teak oil finish. Is there something else I should use?

Snapped a few pics with my camera yesterday, will post em when she's all done - hopefully by this weekend.

T

Finally finished this project, have to go back and see what the date was on the first post.
attachment.php

attachment.php

edit: got the photos fixed

T

Attachments

• IMG_1271.jpg
    IMG_1271.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 113
  • IMG_1272.jpg
    IMG_1272.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 108
Last edited:
NICE! I love hard-use knives with a touch of class. Did you find the teak difficult to work with?

Not at all. Went really slow, took my time, was worried about making some irreparable mistake and having to start over again. Did have some trouble using a counter sink - I didn't clamp it down, got the first three holes without issue then it started "hopping" on the third... lesson learned.

That looks really great! I saw some online but I wasn't sure it could be used for handles. I have some old carbon steel kitchen knives that would probably look great with new handles.2thumbs

Teak is great wood. Maybe it not have such a fancy look or curly attractions but it is a great wood to work for scales!
Cheers

RNST,

I think I have some of that teak from the battleship Missouri. A friend of mine from years ago (Lon Epps) gave it to me. He warned me to watch out for miscellaneous pieces of shrapnel. He was an amazing wood worker.

Terrorbl- check with some local flooring companies, sometimes you can get some left overs from their installations. I used to go to a building materials recycling place in San Francisco, I found some nice brazillian walnut flooring scraps for cheap. Also got a couple of hard maple and black walnut planks for ~ $5 each.

I've heard that teak tends to be high in silica content, so it may dull your tools a little, I never noticed it though.

Ric

Back