Teak Oil

bmills

Has anyone on this forum used teak oil for their knife handles? If so, would you kindly explain your process? How durable is this finish? Can the knife handle be easily refreshed with a fresh coat of oil? Also, is there a preferable brand of oil such as Watco, etc., or is teak oil just teak oil? I thank you for your time and any opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Sorry I didn't see this sooner. Teak oil is a finish that is more for "beauty" then durability. It's often used on fine furniture and other items that will not see exposure to the elements or otherwise require durability.

Of the "oil" type finishes, I would suggest Danish Oil, or my favorite is Tru-Oil (the stuff from Birchwood Casey that's use for firearms stocks) It has a specific way it needs to be applied.... there's a free video on how to apply it here: http://www.caffreyknives.net/how_to_videos.html 6th video down the page.

Ed, thank you for your reply. I’m familiar with BC oil having refinished numerous gunstocks. Again, appreciate your time and knowledge!

Back