Temporary Mounting

believerjoe

What do you guys do to attach pieces in a temporary way to rough them out before final finishing? Specifically, I have to create a pommel to this antler. I could use screws or pins, but not sure just yet what else I want to do. Maybe design as you is not the best idea. I want to get the steel to a finished size and then toss it back in the forge so it matches the blade on the sides and butt.

Attachments

• A4091DA2-2582-4F1B-AE11-D36B084F120E.jpeg
    A4091DA2-2582-4F1B-AE11-D36B084F120E.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 3
“Design as you go” makes things extremely difficult.

I tend to shape things after they are all put together. The “how to put it together” is the key to the puzzle.

“Design as you go” makes things extremely difficult.

I tend to shape things after they are all put together. The “how to put it together” is the key to the puzzle.

I am learning exactly what not to do and will draw out my next knives, but this one is in flight. I usually drill out the pith, rough the inside, and fill with epoxy. Makes a totally solid back end that you can set screws, etc in there anywhere and it isn't going anywhere. I want to start having the tang go all the way so that I can thread the end. I am baby stepping my way through the tools needed and can't just rush out and buy everything. I have had a good couple of weeks picking up things for minimal money. Two things I want really bad are still the better grinder (only want the KMG TX), and a good band saw. I know the band saw is not the critical piece because there are other ways to cut, but profiling knives looks like it would save the belts. I do not have a business here and just enjoy the art of it and gifting things, so far still not about money. I may have to just figure out an easy way to insert something and then attach with a threaded bolt or decorative piece I have made. Working on that tonight and tomorrow hopefully.

I've been using super glue more and more for temporary items. In particular with bolsters. Just enough to hold in place and then either a rubber mallet or an old screwdriver to pop it off. Works like a charm

Back