The Fix

Cazador

Last week I post these pictures of a knife I was working on when a piece of the handle broke near the ricasso. I wasn't sure how to go about fixing it since the handles had been glued on so I set the knife aside to think about it.
IMG_2289.jpgIMG_2290.jpg

I ended up taking it to my friend and mentor, Gene Baskett. He helped me get it pretty much fixed without removing the handles or damaging the satin finish on the blade. I still have a bit of touch up, but it turned out pretty well. Here's what it looks like now.
IMG_2301.jpgIMG_2302.jpgIMG_2304.jpgIMG_2305.jpg

Nice fix. That is something I have thought about every since is saw the first knife with a handle such as that one!! In fact I mentioned that very problem in a thread a while back! I have always wondered how many of them ended up the same way after the customer got them!!

Nice fix. That is something I have thought about every since is saw the first knife with a handle such as that one!! In fact I mentioned that very problem in a thread a while back! I have always wondered how many of them ended up the same way after the customer got them!!
That's why my original post on the nice stated that "I was warned this could happen". I haven't had any complaints from any of my customers and if I did, I'd make it right.

Cazador, this statement was not directed at you or your customer service!!

Early in my knife making I ended up with such a wood tip on a knife design. I have worked with wood all my life, and did not like the idea of that area. So I re-worked the design of the handle to get rid of it. Now that I think back on it, I believe I put a metal bolster on that one!!

As far as contacting the maker, I would probably assume that one would be on me the consumer. Although most now days would holler as soon as something goes wrong. Whether it is there fault or not!! I like the fix that is thinking on your feet!!

Cazador, this statement was not directed at you or your customer service!!

Early in my knife making I ended up with such a wood tip on a knife design. I have worked with wood all my life, and did not like the idea of that area. So I re-worked the design of the handle to get rid of it. Now that I think back on it, I believe I put a metal bolster on that one!!

As far as contacting the maker, I would probably assume that one would be on me the consumer. Although most now days would holler as soon as something goes wrong. Whether it is there fault or not!! I like the fix that is thinking on your feet!!

Thanks. I was still on my first on my first cup of coffee this morning when I responded and I took your reply the wrong way. Sorry. we're good? I'm moving toward doing my handles in the style of the fix like on this one. At least on the hunting knives.

Back