The hardest about knifemaking might be...

Motor City Mike

Throwing away old belts!!

Today I made a rack to hold all my belts (much better than the pile I was keeping them in :)).

While sorting through them and hanging them up I found more than a dozen belts that were completely used up. I mean junk.

There were a couple from my very first belt order from USA Knifemaker.

I have just never been able to throw them away. I was convinced I'd be able to use them for something. Maybe hogging off some handle material...but I never do.

So today I trashed every one of them. In the garbage they went.

I've heard that you should use belts like they're free and I do for the most part but throwing them out once they're done...well that ain't as easy.

In case you're interested here's the rack I made. Based on Anthony Self's design. Thanks Anthony.

4qe7JX8l.jpg

I know what you mean but once I have used a belt for grinding bevels and it is past its best it goes on the used belt peg and when it dosent cut cleanly for profiling it gets thrown out. Too much time is wasted by trying to get one last grind from them. Have a bunch ready for the bin along with some blunt bandsaw blades.

From the title I thought perhaps you were going to discuss the angst of existential nihilism as regards knife making...whew...glad we dodged that bullet...lol.

Nice belt rack...organization always feels good...I should try it more...lol

It tough for most to throw used belts away. Without a doubt, belts are the highest consumable cost in a knife shop, which makes it all the more difficult. On the other end of the stick, trying to push a belt too far causes more grief than it solves.

It took a while for me to get there, but there is a motto/mantra in my shop about belts and other sanding media...... Use it like it's free.

After having a worn belt come apart on the grinder...I have no problem tossing old belts. The only person using belts like they're FREE in my shop...is my son...because to him....they ARE free...lol.

This is what I did...plastic bowls from the dollar store...two for a buck.

That is my wife photo bombing as usual....lol.
DSC01345.JPG

I am glad someone else has this problem. I find it hard to throw them out. I have found a good use for a few of them though. I keep an assortment for the times someone wants to use my grinder for whatever reason. That way they do not ruin my new belts.

Yeah I am the same way but like Gruff once it's no good for hogging it's gone! I was just looking at one of those worn belts the other day and it looked like it was ready too come apart.I guess I saved myself a slap in the face!

In the beginning I found it very hard to throw belts away, not only because I was counting pennies (I was) but also because I couldn't tell when a belt was actually finished. It made my liver hurt to throw away a belt with some life in it just because it wasn't brand new. A good rule of thumb I learned was that when a belt starts to make more heat than progress then it was time to throw it out.

The real pitfall is trying to save more than one old belt. Pretty soon you get a 120 grit peg full of half used belts and no more new ones to compare them to. Then you will find yourself chasing crappy grinds all over the place because you think a belt feels pretty good- if you had a new one to compare it to you'd instantly realize it feels bumpy, but not the least bit sharp... and so do the other three hanging there. Then you wonder how long you've been fighting your way through your grinds with a bunch of nackered belts.

It is a good thing to have one or two used belts because they are good for other things besides bevels. But I find, even now, that I need to limit myself to one or two used belts on the hook per grit. If I don't I'll go to grab a new belt only to realize that there aren't any.

In the beginning I found it very hard to throw belts away, not only because I was counting pennies (I was) but also because I couldn't tell when a belt was actually finished. It made my liver hurt to throw away a belt with some life in it just because it wasn't brand new. A good rule of thumb I learned was that when a belt starts to make more heat than progress then it was time to throw it out.

The real pitfall is trying to save more than one old belt. Pretty soon you get a 120 grit peg full of half used belts and no more new ones to compare them to. Then you will find yourself chasing crappy grinds all over the place because you think a belt feels pretty good- if you had a new one to compare it to you'd instantly realize it feels bumpy, but not the least bit sharp... and so do the other three hanging there. Then you wonder how long you've been fighting your way through your grinds with a bunch of nackered belts.

It is a good thing to have one or two used belts because they are good for other things besides bevels. But I find, even now, that I need to limit myself to one or two used belts on the hook per grit. If I don't I'll go to grab a new belt only to realize that there aren't any.

After having a worn belt come apart on the grinder...I have no problem tossing old belts. The only person using belts like they're FREE in my shop...is my son...because to him....they ARE free...lol.

View attachment 63921
WOW!!!!! What a shop!!! I'm assuming that has Heat AND AC? OR - maybe waaay up north ya'll don't need AC for the 6 wks of summer? I don't use much heat for our 2 months of winter here.

WOW!!!!! What a shop!!! I'm assuming that has Heat AND AC? OR - maybe waaay up north ya'll don't need AC for the 6 wks of summer? I don't use much heat for our 2 months of winter here.
Thanks Ken,
heat, no AC...I split the building in two because we run a youth ministry...the other half has AC but no heat...box fans push either back and forth depending on season. I plan eventually to have heat and AC on both sides....but other more important stuff first.

It is hard to do for sure. I can't remember who said it but once the belt is no good anymore right then rip it in half so it forces you to throw it away.

View attachment 63921
Man I wish my shop was 1/2 this size :)

It's about 1800 sq ft....and about another 700 through the exit door...that's where the CNC equipment and heat treat furnace is. The 120 gallon air compressor is in the basement....nice n quiet. But...no kitchen or loft for bedroom like Jon's...lol

I used to horde belts like they were irreplaceable. Now I've found that I can grind a knife significantly faster with new, sharp belts. My saved time more than pays for the cost of a belt or two. I just factor the consumables cost into the price of the knife and toss used belts into the trash with no more remorse.

It's about 1800 sq ft....and about another 700 through the exit door...that's where the CNC equipment and heat treat furnace is. The 120 gallon air compressor is in the basement....nice n quiet. But...no kitchen or loft for bedroom like Jon's...lol

Geez. Small shop my *** :)

Looks like you've got a heck of a place there. Well done.

My "shop" is literally 11'x13'. More of a closet than a shop really.

I see your wife has work gloves on. Lucky you.

The most my wife does is stand in the doorway and tell me that dinner's ready. Followed quickly by something along the line of, are you going to clean this mess up?

Back