The Hungry Trapper

Kevin Zito

KNIFE MAKER
5F58BFBA-D54E-4F50-AB74-C4350F343459.jpeg 5C4BEA3E-93D1-4ED9-A7A8-D50120732454.jpeg I found a template online for a knife called “The Hungry Trapper”. Unfortunately I can’t remember the source. I made a few extremely minor changes. I’m really excited about this build, because what you see here is straight off the grinder (no hand sanding yet). I’m getting a little better at producing a decently finished blade directly from the 3 by 36 HF beast lol. Can’t wait, but must wait, to get my KMG. As always, comments and critique will be greatly appreciated. Thanks for looking.

Thanks, all! I’m thinking about either black wood or the fake impala horns, the more I look at it, I’m thinking the black wood would look good. What do y’all think?

Kevin, stay away from impling your knife is anything like the one you referenced. It's near impossible to patent a knife, however a name can be trademarked and sometimes some folks, including big business tend to get real uptight about the name of their baby!

I love the lines of that one, It appears it would make a great skinner for larger game!
5f58bfba-d54e-4f50-ab74-c4350f343459-jpeg.62184

The kick of the handle will work excellent as when you are undressing a critter. Once you get the pelt started you are pulling with one hand and using a flick of the wrist with the knife in your other hand.

Kevin, stay away from impling your knife is anything like the one you referenced. It's near impossible to patent a knife, however a name can be trademarked and sometimes some folks, including big business tend to get real uptight about the name of their baby!

I love the lines of that one, It appears it would make a great skinner for larger game!
5f58bfba-d54e-4f50-ab74-c4350f343459-jpeg.62184

The kick of the handle will work excellent as when you are undressing a critter. Once you get the pelt started you are pulling with one hand and using a flick of the wrist with the knife in your other hand.
Thanks! I thought about the issue you mention, but I wasn’t sure if it was proper to state that or not. I always get confused about that. It does look like the drawing of the knife that I saw online, but it is different as well.

Hey, no big deal Kevin. The reason a patent for a knife is so hard because, most everything has been done once upon a time! I once came up with an idea and thought this is cool, I have never seen one like it. Till I was looking and researching something and came across some artifacts that were dug up from the 17th century. While I am studying them I see a knife that is a lot like the one I just designed. Sure enough I pull up my drawing and lay my drawing aside the picture and I was wrong, it had been done.
Often you see this and this is considered OK. I have a knife that is "Randall inspired". Your not saying it is a Randall knife, your not saying it is a copy, you are saying it was inspired by a design that was a Randall Knife and that is OK with the law and with other makers!! Got to go I got a two year old going crazy!

Last edited:
I like it!!! I do some variations like that also!!
Thanks! I’ve never sold a knife and probably won’t ever sell one. (Probably won’t ever get good enough for that.) So I’m not so worried about law suit type issues... for me it’s more about giving credit when it’s due. Thanks again for the kind words.

I like that! good way to give credit, but not implying at all it's a copy.

Oh Kevin, that grind looks good for a 2X72 grinder, and since you're using a 3X36 - WOW!!!
Thanks!!! It feels good to hear these comments from y’all! Heck I might just make anothern.

That's great work right there for still being new to the game. I started out on the Grizzly G1015 and was happy with that for a long time until I went to my KMG and LOVE the versatility it offers with the few attachments I got. You'll progress well in it. Keep that passion and you'll have your own table at the shows soon enough.

Something I like to do when I'm not sure about the handle to put on a blade is while I'm sitting watching TV in the evenings, I'll just hold the blade in my hands and look at it to get a good feel of it. I call it "talking to the spirit of the blade" .... my wife says I'm "fondling my toys".... WHATEVER. It always helps to find that perfect match of scales to make it unique. Whenever I don't do that, it will inevitably end up with something I'm not completely happy about. But this is just my process....

That's great work right there for still being new to the game. I started out on the Grizzly G1015 and was happy with that for a long time until I went to my KMG and LOVE the versatility it offers with the few attachments I got. You'll progress well in it. Keep that passion and you'll have your own table at the shows soon enough.

Something I like to do when I'm not sure about the handle to put on a blade is while I'm sitting watching TV in the evenings, I'll just hold the blade in my hands and look at it to get a good feel of it. I call it "talking to the spirit of the blade" .... my wife says I'm "fondling my toys".... WHATEVER. It always helps to find that perfect match of scales to make it unique. Whenever I don't do that, it will inevitably end up with something I'm not completely happy about. But this is just my process....
Wow! Thanks for the kind words. I don’t think I can quit doing this now. It makes me happy... weird, right?

Back