Thinning Down Scales

All I have is a cheap tabletop bandsaw. No milling machine either. This is a economical way to thin and flatten scales that works surprisingly well.

I just watched the video. That looks like it would work pretty well for scales. Once upon a time I tried to use my drill press as a light milling machine. The Chuck did come flying out.

Jacob

Step one buy a drill press for me. Handy to know. Im just trying to sort outmy space i have a ban sore that was given to me in un working order so im cleaning out the sap or what ever it is that caused it to snap a belt.

I just watched the video. That looks like it would work pretty well for scales. Once upon a time I tried to use my drill press as a light milling machine. The Chuck did come flying out.

Jacob

Using a drill press as a milling machine does put a lot of side load on the chuck that it wasn't designed for. The planer doesn't seem to be putting a lot of stress on the chuck. Maybe it is? I don't have a way of measuring it. I'm just careful that I don't take too big of a "bite". Just taking small amounts off with each pass.

Thanks for posting that Lucius, I think I'm going to get one of those, it could come in handy for other projects too.
Currently I use a disc sander for flattening but those tropical oily woods clog up sand paper pretty quick.
milling bits work good but this gizmo takes more off in one swipe and like I said, it looks like it would be handy for other projects as well.

Cool little tool there. The inserts have no back relief to them...so they're not trying to suck the work off the table. In fact the whole design is holding the wood down...a very safe set-up. a bit of sanding to get the finish nice.

would be real cool if they had carbide inserts for that.

Neat tool. Could you post a pic of the underside of the planner? Does it want to suck through and spit the scales out the other side?

Neat tool. Could you post a pic of the underside of the planner? Does it want to suck through and spit the scales out the other side?

I'll get you some pics later today. It does pull the sales through a little but it's really just a manual feed. I use a little push jig to keep my fingers out of the way. :)

I was going to make one of these. I was talking to my Dad about it. Well I came home with a slightly used Grizzly planer. He used it for thinning down Koa planks for his knife scales.

Jacob

Thanks for the update Lucius, I just bought one....I'm glade I didn't buy it at the beginning of this thread :D,
I was kind of on the fence but after you posted it's on sale I got one.

Thanks for the update Lucius, I just bought one....I'm glade I didn't buy it at the beginning of this thread :D,
I was kind of on the fence but after you posted it's on sale I got one.
Got an email from them today and just passing it along. Hope it works out for you.

Back