This weeks work

Von Gruff

KNIFE MAKER
Have this one ready to ship off. A Buffalo Skinner in 12C27 stainless with curve backed buffalo horn bolster with black walnut handles. Normally I do these in 1095 HC but this was a special order in the stainless There are another 10 knives ready for final shaping but the buff skinner had been on hold whiles I waited on the thicker stainless to come in so I got it ready first and had done the sheath when I did the last batch.
V13I1Pvl.jpg

There are another 10 knives that I am putting the finishing touches to the handles to at the moment but that buff skinner deserved to be put up first. Will have the rest to show beginning of the week.

Amazing knife...did you do the HT? How did you like making that in stainless? The grind is beauty....
Thanks Ted and yes I do all my own HT. In a SS packet then into the forge at 1950F for 5 minutes and quench between two x one inch alloy plates. Temper at 350 for 2 hours. I have done quite a few of these in 1095 and have another to do after showing this pic on the AH forum but in the prefered 1095. The only difference between the ss and the carbon is that I do all my ss grinds post HT where the carbon gets rough ground pre HT and finished after. Have enough of that piece of black walnut for another 6 knives.

Only thing happening this week was getting some upgraded electric run and my new motor and VFD set up in preparation for the new 2x72!

Every knife needs a sheath so have been cutting and sewing a bit of leather to send this last lot of knives off. Still have to dye the edges and hot wax them but will get to that in the morning, sharpen the blades and they will all be ready to ship.
ONe74o9l.jpg

YN79jGfl.jpg

do you have punches to cut out the sheath patterns or do you hand-cut them all? nice work!
I cut them all by hand. the only thing that is machine helped is the holes are done on a small drill press using a pointed stem rather than a drill bit. I sand the edges on the belt grinder after glueing them together and then hand stitch. The edge slicking is done with a slicker I had made and which fits in the drill press.

The thinner leather came in this morning so I made the two chef knife covers and got everything hot waxed so it is sharpening and shipping day tomorrow

Two questions Gruff. I will be making my first leather sheath soon. Do you stain in The beginning or when it’s finished? Also , you mentioned you drilled the holes. Is that easier than the 4 prong punch? Or reasons why I would use one method over the other?

Back