Thoughts on Work Sharp Knife sharpening

remist17

I am struggling putting a good edge on the knifes I make with stones. i was considering this product but do not know anyone that has used this. Please let me know your thoughts.

Thank you

I just bought one because I could not put an edge on my knifes for the life of me.

I borrowed a buddy's and tried it out, and I was pretty impressed. They work very well. It still takes some work with a new blade, you have to start it on the grinder. But for knives that already have an edge, you get them shaving sharp in just a few minutes.

Is there an advantage with the Work Sharp over a simple cheap Harbor Freight 1X30" belt sander? I'm guessing ya'll don't have a 2X72" belt grinder?

Ken H>

I use a 1x30 belt grinder. I use this outside to grind off the material prior to heat treat. Then I have been working the edge with a Lansky sharpening "system".

I have a 1x30 and a 2x72

I packed up the 1x30 to donate to another beginner knife maker and don't use it. I use the 2x72 to start the sharp bevel and finish up on the Worksharp

I to use a old 1x30 to start the edge and then use a work sharp.I could use my 2x72 but I keep the 1x30set up just for this.

OK thank you all. It sounds alot of you use this product and I appreciate the responses. I will try and see who has this the cheapest. Can someone advise what the most common belts are used? Seems fine and course would be the obvious ones. Also what model do I need?
WSKTS
WSKTS-KO
WSKTS-KT

Thanks

Last edited:
The basic one is one speed, the KO model has variable speed and wider belts. I bought the base one. It has a coarse, fine and super fine. I find that without using the 2000 grit belt, the edges do not get shaving sharp. Once I run that 2000 on them, they are scary sharp.

I use a Real Sharp sharpening system, you can get them from Don Collins. He makes them out of Arkansas. But I finish all my knives by hand. I like the Real sharp for sharpening knives for people at events, it is quick and does a real good job. His number is (417)294-1784 if you call him let him know I sent you (he sends out free belts for referrals) :) It comes with jigs for 20 25 and 30 deg angles. You can change them up if you want. I really like my Real Sharp it has paid for itself already in the time it saves me and give nice even grinds. Not to mention all the money I have made sharpening when I go events.

I also have a sharpening video if you would like to learn how to free hand sharpen. http://usaknifemaker.com/dvd-beyond-razor-sharp-with-patrick-roehrman.html

Back