Through tang fastener question

Navin_R_Johnson

I have a few friends and family members that like to wood carve and I'm just spooling up on how to go about making a few knives for some of them. When I looked at the popular, among wood carvers, Mora carving knives I noticed the handle fastener on the rear end looks to be slid over the tang and peened on? Is that correct? (image attached)

Has anyone used this method that could give a bit of detail on process? Prep to the rivet and tang before peening?

Attachments

• mora handle.jpg
    mora handle.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 30
Yeah, that's pretty much it. They use a tang that tapers from about 2/3 the blade width to the size you see, they counterbore the butt end of the tang hole and press the ferrule over the tang and pein it. It is as simple as it looks.

Another method, and more popular with custom makers, is to use a pommel cap on the end of the handle that glues on flat and the tang is peened until it fills the hole (you want it closely fitted) and then ground and polished flush.

I've actually got one on my bench right now that I oughta be finishing up in the next week. I'd be happy to post some pics of the construction of it'd help you out.

Yeah, that's pretty much it. They use a tang that tapers from about 2/3 the blade width to the size you see, they counterbore the butt end of the tang hole and press the ferrule over the tang and pein it. It is as simple as it looks.

Another method, and more popular with custom makers, is to use a pommel cap on the end of the handle that glues on flat and the tang is peened until it fills the hole (you want it closely fitted) and then ground and polished flush.

I've actually got one on my bench right now that I oughta be finishing up in the next week. I'd be happy to post some pics of the construction of it'd help you out.
Lemme see , lemme see !

I know nothing of the Mora knifes, but I just got a couple carving knives in to recreate, and the blades were nothing more than pressed into a drilled hole. No glue, no pins, not even a properly prepared hole. Just drilled and then pressed in.

I've seen the pressed/pounded on handle method but would like a bit more security.

My initial plan was to file out a pommel to a good fit over the tang and peen, until I saw that image I posted. Guess my big question about the ferrule method is how to prep the ferrule and tang. A round ferrule over a square tang is going to leave some unsightly gaps and filing out a square center hole while keeping the OD of the ferrule in that counterbore might prove difficult. Filing the tang round for better fit also feels a bit sketchy to me with 1/8" stock but, might be my best bet here and at least a bit more security than the press fit.

Edit: If anyone has a knife with this style fastener I'd like to see a pick of the but end if possible. A pic would likely answer a bunch of my questions. I've never seen it or tried it.

Last edited:
Here's a pic of what you have a drawing for. Beautiful, right?

71365244-E829-40E7-9856-7AFA27F01102.jpeg

And here's a couple of the one on the bench. The closer the fit, and cleaner the finish on the tang and openings, the cleaner the final product. This is up through glued and peened. I will grind it off smooth tomorrow or the next day.
1EBB5D22-B020-40D2-85B3-D03DD425FA96.jpeg42F7EBDA-DBEA-4A8F-9A89-4E8BB78CFF11.jpegB0F7CADB-6BE2-46CB-AAE7-156C86E9739A.jpeg13BE9458-B2A3-4BAE-8A54-65131BDAFBA5.jpeg

And here's the next one. Filed flush, sanded to 320, and a quick dremel buffing after rough shaping so you can see the contrast in the metals better, but most importantly, the absence of any kind of seam. I almost never get that right. I will shape this into a dome with radiused edges with the tang being the highest point. Too much filing or sanding will take off the peened material and it will no longer be holding anything.
70F0FC41-8529-4170-A529-7AC74675CBEB.jpegC7CBAC3C-CC58-40B4-9055-1A2992EB0551.jpeg

Back