Thumb Grip Serrations on a Neck Knife Spine

Bill Hubbell

KNIFE MAKER
My next project is a neck knife. I've been playing with the profile and have pretty much zeroed in on what feels right. Now to see what it feels like in steel form. I want a small grip area on the spine in front of the handle, but have never done any filework on a spine. Does anyone use a thin cut-off blade in a Dremel or side grinder? -or is that too rough or crude? - a fine hacksaw blade? If files are the best tool, then some input on good sources for those would really be appreciated.
And, if anyone has any input on the type of knife I'm planning, or these profiles, that's always welcome. I'm going to use 1084, appr. 1/8 in. I was somewhat inspired by my son's CRKT minimalist (hence the resemblance), but like a broader blade, a choil, a meatier grip, etc.
Thanks inadvance for your input,
BillPaper Profiles.jpg

It's pretty crude to use a cutoff wheel or hacksaw unless you really have a way to get it precisely spaced and even depths.

I use an 1/8" round file and carefully file 4-6 grooves spaced evenly. This makes for the best grip of the different ways I've tried without tearing up your thumb and it's pretty easy to keep it uniform and polished nice. Start to finish it takes me about 10 minutes if I'm taking my time.

On a lot of mine, I use a 1/8" chainsaw file, scribe spacing with calipers. I like to bring down each notch together, verses filing each one to the bottom individually. That gives you a chance to fudge a little back and forth to keep spacing equal. Nothing looks worse to me that uneven spacing on something like this.

There are lots of techniques for file work. If you are looking for a "designer" look, then a chainsaw file and possibly a small flat or triangular file might be what you need. On the other hand, If you are trying to create some straightforward jimping, then I suggest a checkering file. Been very happy with the results since I bought mine!!

Needle files work great, practice and take your time. I've actually messed up more file work by trying to measure and mark, I just go be eye very carefully under good light.
I also install small homemade wood handles on the ends so those files don't dig into my hand.

Last edited:
Back