Thumb Stud question

SBuzek

On my liner locks I attach the stud with a 1-72 FH screw from the off side.I have seen some done with the blade threaded and the stud screwed into it.
My question is,will a 2-56 screw be strong enough for this or even a 1-72.
Thanks
Stan

Hi Stan,
I don't think that you could ever shear the thumbstud off of the blade with the blade threaded. The stud and blade are both threaded and the stud gets tightened down like a bolt.

I think that you might be more likely to shear off the screw head since that is the only thing holding the thumbstud to the blade.

I tap the blade with a 1-72 thread. One advantage I find is that I can swap the thumbstud to the opposite side of the blade if the customer is left handed. The lock is still right handed but they are ok with that.
Happy New Year,
Chuck

Last edited:
I've done blind threaded holes in blades with 2-56 to attach a thumb stud and never had a problem with the thumb stud breaking off - though occasionally I've broken a tap in the blade while threading the hole. No fun!

Thanks Guys I was thinkin the same about shearing them off,gonna start doing them that way.
Stan

For anything threaded, the thread is the weakest point. As for shearing a screw, whether it is threaded into the blade or the thumb stud, come on. Just how much force do you think you are putting on the stud when you open it. You are more likely to shear it when you catch it on something.

Back