Ti anodizing power supply help

lerman

hello,

i need some help with buying the right power supply for anodizing titanium, i have absolutely no idea what i should buy, my understanding of electronics is nonexistent :)

one more problem is the current here in israel is 220v.

thanks

Lee,
If you don't mind? Let me jump in on your question.
I have just started playing with ti so I am in the same boat, I've heard you can use our makers mark etching machine and would appreciate am info on that?

That you can do a Oxyclean/detergent coloring to get gold? I know you can pass a torch over it to get some colors.

Thanks Lee and anyone that has experience with coloring titanium.

hello,

i need some help with buying the right power supply for anodizing titanium, i have absolutely no idea what i should buy, my understanding of electronics is nonexistent :)

one more problem is the current here in israel is 220v.

thanks

You need a variable benchtop power supply that will give you DC voltage.
I will try to remember to get the info about the one I recently bought to set up my anodizing system tomorrow when I'm at the shop and put it on here for you.
If your power supply is 220 volts you will need to get a power supply that will work on that voltage supply.

What I use is a variac, that is what regulates the voltage,it goes from zero to 120 or 130, I forget. then there is a small part you can get from radio shack that converts that regulated AC voltage to DC. as for the 220, I've seen gizmos sold for travelers that drop the voltage to 110 so USA folks can use their razors or other things they bring with them. variacs can be found at electronic parts places or ebay. I can give you the part number tomorrow for the rectifier from radio shack. a little wiring and your ready for colors !

I have a complete system for sale, including a Variac. Works great!

$100.00 Paypal OK. plus actual cost of mailing.

Don, i think i might be interested in your system, what does it have other then the variac?

Lee,
If you don't mind? Let me jump in on your question.
I have just started playing with ti so I am in the same boat, I've heard you can use our makers mark etching machine and would appreciate am info on that?

That you can do a Oxyclean/detergent coloring to get gold? I know you can pass a torch over it to get some colors.

Thanks Lee and anyone that has experience with coloring titanium.

Hi Laurence i'v been using an anodizing system that i borrowed from a friend with great results, it's very easy once you have the correct system, as for the Oxyclean/detergent i'v never heard of it, you can heat color with a torch but you will get uneven results.

View attachment 48048View attachment 48047View attachment 48046
Don, i think i might be interested in your system, what does it have other then the variac?

I built the electronics with parts from Radio Shack, as some one mentioned. Enclosed in a RadioShack box with a fuse and switch. Two leads about 18" long with clips for attaching to the ground and the anodizing hanger, aluminum foil wrapped inside the jar as a ground, a hook and holder to hold the blade, and a one gallon glass jar. All operated by switching on the Variac and using the dial on the Variac to change the voltage/color.

I use Cascade dishwasher soap added to the water in the jar.

I'll ship everything except the glass jar.

Give me a few hours to wake up, and I'll send pictures. :3:

OK, here we go. :001_rolleyes::44::44::44:

OK, the first photo shows all the components. Everything goes except the jar. The jar is lined with aluminum foil to act as a ground.

The hanger with the black line attached is a hook made of Ti to hang the parts on. This is the positive connection.

The yellow line attaches to a tab of foil attached to the foil liner. The jar has a rubber shelf liner inside to prevent having the workpiece touch the foil, which will cause a short.

The Variac is very heavy, so shipping this will probably cost 30 or 40 dollars in the U.S.

I don't know if this setup can be used on 220volts, Lerman.

Last edited:
cool, sounds good, the electronics is the part i need, i allready have a container for the anodizing i use one tea spoon Trisodium phosphate on one liter of distilled water, works great.

i'll wait for the pics,
thanks

I know some makers have done it in there kiln you would just need to play with the temp range to get the color you are looking for . It should be more consistent then a torch .

Jason Good
Jgoodknives on Instagram and Facebook

Here is the radio shack part number for the rectifier. $7.00 and change. this, a variac and some wire with alligator clips and your ready to start anodizing. I use a Tupperware jug, trisodium phosphate,distilled water and some heat-treat foil inside the jug for the ground connection.

Radio Shack # NTE5322

Back