Titanium 6AL-4V Grade 5

SPAknives

Titanium 6AL-4V Grade 5?? :confused: What does that mean exactly?? I sorta understand the 6Al-4V part & know this is what is most commonly used in the knife world. But what the heck is the GRADE 5. I was shopping around for some titanium for some bolster material and found some for sale that is listed as grade 5. Would it still be alright for bolsters and handle material?? I have also seen some that says knifemakers grade. If anyone can enlighten me a little about some of this I would be greatful. Thanks, Shane

I don't know what that "grade 5" is all about but the "knifemaker's grade" is used by Alpha Knife Supply to designate it is pretty much clear of scratches and dings. In the past I found it difficult to get good sheet titanium in the .050 size I wanted. I did have to use some "regular". Boy what a lot of hand sanding to clean it up!. Tracy has two grades. I just buy the best he has. It has been pretty good. So what is grade 5? Frank

Grade 5 is 6AL 4V and it is what you want.

Grades 1 and 2 are the CP or Commercially Pure. It would work for bolsters but not for locks and liners.

These 3 are the most common of the 20 or so grades of titanium. :)

Back